Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Early Siege Defense?  (Read 4711 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Early Siege Defense?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 10:10:59 pm »

I always start out with building 50 or so cage traps... they will take care of the firat siege and give you time to make more complex awesome traps. (Besides, it gives you lots of goblins to torture host hospitably)
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 10:19:25 pm »

I always start out with building 50 or so cage traps... they will take care of the firat siege and give you time to make more complex awesome traps. (Besides, it gives you lots of goblins to torture host hospitably)
I really do need to get better about my goblins.  Mass-pitting them to probable death and impaling the survivors with iron spikes attached to a lever is well and good, but there has to be more use for them than that.  Sadly, I don't think I can stuff multiple gobbos into a single cage for a goblin-bomb...
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:00 pm »

You could always balance your entire fort on a single soap support and pit the goblins into a room of 10,000 pressure plates, 10 of which will destroy the support when pressed simultaneously. See how many goblins it takes to destroy the fortress!
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 03:20:42 am »

I knew exactly what type of stone to look for before, now I can't even find limestone, where iron is always in abundance.  Trust me, I've spent a lot of time trying to find iron since the update.  I can never find it any more.

Huh.  I do "play now" at various locations until I find a site which has metamorphic flux boulders and pebbles on the surface, to indicate that the topmost stone layer is of that type; that usually has iron in it.  If I find non-flux metamorphic rock then I start looking around at nearby locations since one type of metamorphic rock tends to be near other types.

Once I find a site with metamorphic flux I use the prospector tool of DFhack to make sure that there's iron.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 10:36:58 am »

An entrance you can lock down easily, some sniping towers and plenty of crossbows. Wooden ones are cheapest to start off with, and free up more of whatever metal you can find in the first couple of years for bolts.

Oh, and unless you've reached the magma or have absolute masses of coal I suggest you don't melt down the goblin weapons and armour until you've beaten the second ambush, even if you got lucky with a mood and have a legendary weaponsmith. You still only get a third of the metal back, and it's probably better to have twenty dwarves equipped with crap weapons and armour than half a dozen with all-masterwork kit.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02:03 am »

I have never found a site that has iron.  Never.   :(

I knew exactly what type of stone to look for before, now I can't even find limestone, where iron is always in abundance.  Trust me, I've spent a lot of time trying to find iron since the update.  I can never find it any more.

At the risk of stating the obvious... some worlds simply don't have iron. The easy way to check this is from the Embark, Prepare Carefully screen... if there are no iron goods listed, then no matter how hard you look, you will never find an embark site with iron. It doesn't exist in that world.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »

i have had a lot of success with cage traps so much that i had to deconstruct some because nobody made it through to the other stuff i spent so much time setting up plus you end up with a ton of prisoners that you can use for training or to test your other defenses. just build a ton of them and the first few sieges will actually retreat from losses before your military ever sees them

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:03 pm »

They might not retreat.  If a squad leader gets caged, his underlings won't abandon the map.  Better hope you cage them too, or you WILL have to do mop-up.  That said, only archers/marksgoblins tend to produce much of a threat when pared down by cage traps.  OK, maybe lashers if you don't have shields, but you'll see ranged goblins idling just outside your field of cage traps more often.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 01:36:01 pm »

At the risk of stating the obvious... some worlds simply don't have iron. The easy way to check this is from the Embark, Prepare Carefully screen... if there are no iron goods listed, then no matter how hard you look, you will never find an embark site with iron. It doesn't exist in that world.

No, that only means that there's no iron ores at the location of mountainhalls of your parent civilization.

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2011, 01:43:55 pm »

No, that only means that there's no iron ores at the location of mountainhalls of your parent civilization.
Ive found candy before my first winter ended (Specifically my newest fortress..........) Certainly a lack or iron cant be such an issue!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2011, 01:46:20 pm »

They might not retreat.  If a squad leader gets caged, his underlings won't abandon the map.  Better hope you cage them too, or you WILL have to do mop-up.
oh ok see i was wondering why they only did it sometimes that explains a few things

Iton Ibrukrithzam

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: Curious nature]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »

Huh, so a lot of people just kill their goblins outright, then?  I'm still pretty noob, here, but I've been saving them in cage traps until my arena is done, so I can stage them in pit fights against my military.
Iton Ibrukrithzam enjoys mahogany, diorite, jade, and native gold.  He enjoys giant tigers for their predatory nature, foxes for their many tails, and boobs for their fine shape.  He is absolutely disgusted by spiders.  When possible, he prefers to consume pizza, soda, and goldschlager.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »

i also save a bunch of goblins from my cage traps there are a lot of things you can do with them besides training i used about 10 of them to make sure that my pitfall trap was deep enough for example. by the way does anyone know if there would be a benefit to training archers on disarmed prisoners instead of targets i know its better for melee

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2011, 03:14:04 pm »

Ah, OK... thanks!

Kravick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »

An entrance you can lock down easily, some sniping towers and plenty of crossbows. Wooden ones are cheapest to start off with, and free up more of whatever metal you can find in the first couple of years for bolts.

Oh, and unless you've reached the magma or have absolute masses of coal I suggest you don't melt down the goblin weapons and armour until you've beaten the second ambush, even if you got lucky with a mood and have a legendary weaponsmith. You still only get a third of the metal back, and it's probably better to have twenty dwarves equipped with crap weapons and armour than half a dozen with all-masterwork kit.

Wait, since when have dwarves been able to wear goblin made armor?  Weapons I understand but dwarves can wear the armor now?
Pages: 1 [2] 3