Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Accessible MMO's for the newb..?  (Read 1873 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Accessible MMO's for the newb..?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 10:45:39 pm »

While not a typical MMO, I recommend Splashfighters to anyone who is looking for MMOs to play. It's very easily accessible, has a relatively small download (compared to other MMOs) and is pretty all around awesome. It's a 3D action based fighting MMO, divided into matches on different maps. There is a cash shop, but it's definitely not needed to play well, and you can trade the money earned in game for the paid money.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 10:52:23 pm »

Spiral Knights looks pretty great. Looks like the gameplay is fun and seems like it plays a little more action oreniented than other MMORPGs which I like. I don't know anyone that plays pc games really, I guess thats one reason I've never got into MMO's before.

If it's action you're into, there's another one released by Nexon called Dragon Nest that I've heard is good~
I, personally, prefer doing all sorts of stuff to an innovative combat system, though~
Also, classes are genderlocked, which kinda sucks, but eh~

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 11:01:35 pm »

You know now that I think of it, I actually did try WoW back in the day when it just started and I couldn't get into for whatever reasons. I remember it boring me at the time but I imagine the game plays much different nowadays. With WoW though don't you pay a monthly subscription? Not so much into that considering there seems to be a lot of free to play games out there.

I'm not interested by the MMO genre, but i remember reading that Blizzard made World of Warcraft free to play up to maximum level 20, some kind of large demo.

But it should be enough to see if the game is interesting or boring for you.
https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 11:10:02 pm »

Lord of the Rings Online is the only MMO I've actually reached end-game with. The steady diet of interesting plot quests mixed with many other interesting quests made the fun actually lasting, and additionally the different races have interesting unique starts which I've personally felt to be a requirement in any good mmo since Everquest.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:15:02 pm »

I'm not interested by the MMO genre, but i remember reading that Blizzard made World of Warcraft free to play up to maximum level 20, some kind of large demo.

But it should be enough to see if the game is interesting or boring for you.
https://us.battle.net/account/creation/wow/signup/

I used to play WoW quite a bit and I quickly learned that the game doesn't "pick up" until around levels 30-40. Even then you're not really playing amongst many people, so you feel very isolated aside from the occasional alt or newbie running past. This might have changed in Cataclysm since they reworked the majority of the questing zones (from what I understand), but every class itself is pretty boring to play as until you're at least beyond level 35. If I remember correctly the old demo-level cap was 10, which was practically a "Do you like our starting zones? Pay for the rest, sucker" demo. If they've raised it to 20 then I guess they're showing off their reworked zones? Still isn't much.. especially since they restrict a lot of functionality, like mail and guilds and such.

Runes of Magic is just downright terrible. I know that's only an opinion, but I really couldn't stand it. I think I've enjoyed various Nexon games more, like Gunbound, and that's saying something (sorry Nexon fans). It's extremely boring, even with a friend, and the pay-to-enjoy factor is constantly rubbed in your face. It's decent for a free, quick distraction in between anticipated game releases, but little more. Heck I think I enjoyed the Warhammer Online trial more. I'm not joking.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 11:16:53 pm by debvon »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:27:43 pm »

Someone mentioned EQ2 earlier and I'll note: you can give it a go on f2p servers now, although they're rather crippled even compared to other F2P games.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31:32 pm »

Haha, Splashfighters looks pretty crazy. Dragon Nest looks great too, think I'll give it a go. Does anyone play Dungeon Fighter?

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 12:44:24 pm »

Its not a medieval fantasy MMO, but you may want to give City of Heroes a look. Its a super hero MMORPG where most of the missions take place in procedurally generated instances ("instance" in MMO slang refers to any place that is private... only you or your group are allowed into a particular instance) much like a dungeon crawl. Because its been out for a number of years, there's a plethora a lot of content... including user-created missions. The game is very easy to pick up and play, and instance difficulty can be adjusted should you and your group desire more or less of a challenge. The game's characterization is one of the best, especially when it comes to aesthetics. Additionally, its going F2P sometime in the autumn.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:46:46 pm by Flying Carcass »

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:53 pm »

or instead of paying for city of heroes until the fall, you could play champions online which is f2p and a newer game with much of the same design. I liked City of Heroes a few years back, but Champions Online was the natural progression for me and many others.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 01:14:09 pm »

Also seconding Spiral Knights, though it handles the paid content in an annoying manner, making it more a one hour, once a day thing~
And it has amazing art, such a beautiful game~
Im okay with how they handle paid content because instead of being evil its merely annoying. Its not even that hard to get the paid money with ingame money and the second tier runs can generally have you break even. Its even a sorta anti-grind mechanic, where you cant spend most of a day grinding things down and the curve is based around people having 100 energy a day.

Its the least evil MMO with ingame currency you can buy with real world money.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 [2]