Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Accessible MMO's for the newb..?  (Read 1874 times)

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accessible MMO's for the newb..?
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »

I haven't really dabbled in the MMO world outside of Realm of the Mad God(which I grew tired of fairly quickly), is there any easy accessible, quality games for the first time MMO'er out there? I generally like dungeon crawly, roguey type games but I'm open to anything fun and/or original. I was going to give Space Station 13 a go and League of Legends seem pretty popular but I haven't checked them out. Also anything open-world, non-linear-do-what-you-want type games would be cool.

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
Re: Accessible MMO's for the newb..?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:31:51 pm »

World of Warcraft, as much as people may not like it, is the game that made MMOs accessible to the mainstream gaming market, and remains a staple of the genre, for better or for worse. If you are new to MMOs, it is a good place to start, definitely.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 08:33:25 pm »

Blizzard spent a lot of money into making their game appeal to all, even the newest of gamers. WoW will treaty you well, just don't get addicted. Nothing worse than a student that falls in love with the teacher.

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:38:40 pm »

You know now that I think of it, I actually did try WoW back in the day when it just started and I couldn't get into for whatever reasons. I remember it boring me at the time but I imagine the game plays much different nowadays. With WoW though don't you pay a monthly subscription? Not so much into that considering there seems to be a lot of free to play games out there.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:42:27 pm »

Spiral Knights (free to play) might fit your dungeon crawl desire. It's not exactly non-linear, but the dungeons are shuffled at least. And a new combination come out every.. 4 days? 6 days? Something like that. Unlike WoW (and many other MMO's) you don't need to have a group to get through dungeons. A couple of the bosses require a group, but not all of them. It's great fun for a while.

I know this isn't a very popular game, and it is SOE, but Everquest 2 used to be one of my absolute favorite games. It was my first MMO and I spent years playing it before going to WoW, and then switching between the two like a rabid animal. Eventually I realized that pay per month games were just NOT worth it, hundreds of dollars can be funneled into them and all you've achieved is procrastination and wasted time. Something like Guild Wars, a pay once to play MMO seems much more reasonable. Especially if you're living alone on a small paycheck, or you're younger and don't have a job. Guild Wars specifically is quite a good game but it might be difficult to get into if it's your first.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 08:43:51 pm »

You could try Pardus, I believe it was called. I played it a while back and had a bit of fun. I just lost interest in it after a while.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 08:45:22 pm »

Mabinogi. Instanced, gentle at first, decent community, and somewhat diablo like. It also contains anti grinding features so you can just play.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 08:49:26 pm »

I found Mab somewhat hard to get into. It seemed like it tried too hard to be artsy and neglected interesting mechanics. If he didn't like WoW, I doubt he'd like Mabinogi more.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 08:52:21 pm »

I just spoke since I HATED WoW but I love Mabi. So really I don't see the comparison there.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 08:58:45 pm »

Having played both, I can say they're a lot alike.
World of Warcraft. Instanced, gentle at first, decent community, and somewhat diablo like. It also contains anti grinding features so you can just play.
Works just the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 09:00:28 pm »

WoW is very dumbed down. Go for it. Eventually you may qualify for the ultimate of all MMO's....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:00 pm »

Runes of Magic is a free WoW clone where you don't need to spend any real life money(at least until you get to endgame). Spiral Knights is fun but is a very LIGHT mmorpg, meaning you don't have a ton to do in it. If you want MMO's that are free but aren't MMORPGs, I recommend Combat Arms or A.V.A. for good free MMOFPS games.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »

I just spoke since I HATED WoW but I love Mabi. So really I don't see the comparison there.

Double up on the Mabinogi, I like it a lot more than WoW, and it has interesting depth to it. Though sometimes it does get a bit grindy (Damn you whirlwiiiiiiind!) It makes up for it in the rest of the gameplay.

Do get some friends to play with though, whatever game you pick. Every MMO I have ever played is 10x more fun when you're playing with friends.

PS: What server Janet?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 10:28:25 pm »

Double-seconding Mabinogi~
Also seconding Spiral Knights, though it handles the paid content in an annoying manner, making it more a one hour, once a day thing~
And it has amazing art, such a beautiful game~

joey4track

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 10:43:22 pm »

Spiral Knights looks pretty great. Looks like the gameplay is fun and seems like it plays a little more action oreniented than other MMORPGs which I like. I don't know anyone that plays pc games really, I guess thats one reason I've never got into MMO's before.
Pages: [1] 2