Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ensuring a lot of layers between surface & 1st cavern.  (Read 703 times)

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ensuring a lot of layers between surface & 1st cavern.
« on: July 26, 2011, 04:32:15 pm »

Intending on carving a castle out of the very ground itself. By channelling & cave-ins. But Id like to ensure that my first, till about 10th z level from surface downwards is stone. Ideally, pretty stone - like granite. I have no clue about world genning other than SET MINERALZ EERYWAAARE

Tips? Solutions? Hell, if you have a map that matches this description, I'll take it
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

wolfic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Ensuring a lot of layers between surface & 1st cavern.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:37:07 pm »

In the advanced world gen parameters I think the Z levels above layer 1 controls that.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:49:28 pm »

In Advanced World Gen, the "Z levels above Layer 1" sets the minimum amount of layers that'll occur above the first cavern; it'll be consistent like this throughout the entire world.  What stone you get largely can't be determined during world gen, except for turning up volcanism too high and creating a lot of ugly igneous extrusive layers.

You won't find granite close to the surface often, but embarking on a site with flux stone will usually give you a nice layer of limestone or marble to work with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:52:19 pm by orrey »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 08:08:46 pm »

Also, if you find the absolute perfect site, but the main stone layer you have to work with is something horrible and ugly like conglomerate or mudstone, it's easy enough to go into the raws of your world and change the color and tile representing said stone. For reference, the nice-looking smooth stone tiles are 176 (the one used for chalk and diorite), 177 (the one used for obsidian and gabbro), and 178 (the one used for limestone, marble, and granite).  Soil, of course, also uses those tiles. 176 is lightly textured, 177 is almost totally smooth and devoid of features, and 178 is more heavily textured, which basically translates to the unsmoothed rock looking a little darker than the normal color.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]