Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting world we live in...  (Read 1305 times)

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
Interesting world we live in...
« on: July 26, 2011, 11:40:13 am »

So! I need help, from you infact. Yes! You, the attractive blighter reading this.

My problem is such. I have just embarked from a civilization with no access to plump helmets or most other plant life, onto a plain with no hills, a nice big shrine with a heaving, poisonous vomit monster, with the walking dead all around. Oh! And I've just lost my fighter to the creature. Apparently, despite being made of vomit, it's poison is rather potent, causing necrosis within but a few moments.

So, any advice, ideas or other thoughts? Any goals I, as a usually agrarian fortress builder, should aim for with a wholly carnivorous fort? Anything I should keep in mind when setting up an abattoir?
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting world we live in...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:22 am »

Dig into the caverns, and forage the plants there. You'll find some plump helmets.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:12 am »

Sounds like Fun.

I'm thinking of three options here:
1) Train an army really quickly. Major danger room usage, may not even have time to load each trap fully. After that, try to kill everything.
2) Dig down really quickly. You'll probably find plants and/or water in at least one cavern layer.
3) Try your best, let everyone die, and reclaim with a military force.

If the enemies aren't everywhere, though, gather some plants and start a greenhouse-style farm. Surface plants are better than no plants.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 11:46:31 am »

given you're location, seal your fort off fro the outside now. then allow cats and dogs to rapidly breed, until you have a large population base. then, slowly cull off the adults every year. also, load up on meat from caravans and booze. fishing may help out to
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 11:54:18 am »

Ok, excellent points. I think I'll do all three once I reclaim. I just lost the fortress to Oson Uslukstetso. The dworfs had taken a break from dragging everything inside, within moments he wondered over to attack. With all of my dworfs clustered around one point, he simply attacked with his poison breathe and wiped the lot out. Funny as hell.
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Theifofdreams

• Bay Watcher
  • Pay no attention to the Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:12:59 pm »

Unless you mod cats, don't use them for meat unless you want to cause a catsplosion quickly, or you kill them as kittens.
Because occasionally it'll take awhile for a dwarf to butcher the animal, it might give the cat enough time to claim a dwarf, causing it to be un-butcherable.
Use something else. Like... peacocks. Or turkeys.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 12:18:38 pm »

For maximum food output from animals, slaughter all the males first except for one. One male of a species can impregnate any amount of females (obviously until that animal hits the population cap, but since there will be multiple pregnancies at once you could easily get well over that cap before butchering)
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 02:31:45 pm »

Make it two at the start. If your lone male gets killed off, it'll slow you down a lot, even if you get male offspring from the currently-pregnant / nesting females. Dogs are the only common domestic animals that don't need a pasture or a nest box.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 02:38:29 pm »

What about cats?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

If there's surface soil, there are edible surface plants. Send a dwarf or two out to gather them (they're designated the way trees are, hotkey 'p') whilst being careful to keep them out of the titan's line of sight.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 04:08:09 pm »

Good news guys. Despite not being able to set up farms on the surface due to both zombies, skeletons and ol' vomit titan, I have managed to start a decent butchery underground. I broke the first cavern and filled the place with grass. Then built a small ranch on the soil layer with a nice pond. From there I can grow cows and goats for food and milk.

As for ol' vomit titan. He just saved me from the third siege. Dark stranglers and goblins seem to have an issue when blasted with boiling necrotic poison. Fun times. I'm thinking of just leaving him and using his close proximity to wipe out anyone who comes nearby. He only has one limb, his stubby tail. Other than that, he's a blob. So, another question.

How well does a blob vomit titan hold up in battle?

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »

So! I need help, from you infact. Yes! You, the attractive blighter reading this.

I have just embarked from a civilization with no access to plump helmets or most other plant life
sounds like you are not playing dwarves, or you do not have cavern layer 1.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 04:20:20 pm »

How well does a blob vomit titan hold up in battle?

Apparently quite well. If you want Dwarfyness, get him into some cage thing where he can breath on invaders, then keep out of his way. You're adapting this plan now, but "some cage thing" is "aboveground". If you could trap him in a valley, for instance.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 04:27:07 pm »

I genned a specific world with a single cavern layer. I wanted to do ‼SCIENCE‼ with frosty trees and magma. So far my reports show that those trees are awesome and that even with a compressed world, the magma layer is an annoyance to access and manipulate.

Also, I built the open entrance to my fort in the center of his shrine. Only way in is by going past his territory. Whenever I do work or I want to allow access, I pull a pair of levers and a blast door closes over the shrine entrance and opens across the stream. There's a flooding mechanism and an S-bend to stop him without killing him in the event he decides to explore my fortress. All good otherwise.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 08:05:21 pm »

What about cats?
Oh yeah, my bad. I was going to mention cats along with their explosive tendencies, but I changed my mind and forgot to alter the bit I'd already wrote.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.