Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "Cave Challenge" Expedition Experience  (Read 760 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Cave Challenge" Expedition Experience
« on: July 21, 2011, 09:28:53 pm »

The thread from which the challenge originated is sure to become as full as the 'What's going on in your fort?' thread. I decided to use this thread instead for the challenge progress.

WHY: WHY is nobody using this thread?!?! I put it here for a reason and that mandate better be satisfied.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:05:15 pm by UristMcHuman »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Cave Challenge" Expedition Experience
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:23:49 pm »

Planned out my base camp, gonna dig out some storerooms for my initial supplies. Establishing a marble mine to fortify my camp and going to use chert to assist, but now I'm just sticking to marble for now.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 05:42:17 am »

I'm doing mine a bit differently, by doing a cave hermit challenge.  The rest of the fort will be attempting to survive against the enemies of the Fortress Defense mod.  I've just recently hit the 2nd cave level, and will be forging the spare pick and axe for the hermit soon :D

Edit: Oh this an interesting turn of events.  My first hermit died from cave mole, and once i reopened the caves, EVERYONE went down in there and gathered what she had gathered.  Well, my one and only woodcutter, a female, went down there and had a strange mood at the hermit's carpenter's workshop.  Then, to wall her off, I sent a mason to seal the plug.  Well, HE got stuck down there two.  So.. now this is more like an adam and eve hermit challenge.. with one being a skilled woodcutter, the other being.. a leatherworker..

Edit 2:  Damnit.  She's in love with the fort's commander.. not married though.  Can they switch lovers, when their old ones die by horrendous mauling by a dozen beak wolves or steel wielding frogmen move on?

Edit 3: Oh, apparently he's married.  And has the fort's only daughter.  Man, these two are gonna go bonkers when their loved ones die forget about him entirely think he's dead and leave the fort safely, with no injuries.

Edit 4: Well that lasted long.  Damn forgotten beast.. that can fly.. made cavern level 2 un-useable for now :\
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 06:17:30 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 06:50:11 am »

I punched into all three cavern layers to scout out what the terrain is like, and now I have my dwarves immediately packing up and heading to layer three.  It turns out there's this crazy awesome magma pool rising up out of an underground lake down there.  There's plenty of usable land around the 'volcano', and the entire area is encircled by the underground lake, providing a wholly natural moat.

As long as no flying beasties turn up before I can get a few soldiers up and ready, it should work out great.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:40:14 am »

Silverdreams is starting, despite the 40 z-levels to the first cavern slightly longer trip than expected! First cavern layer is 90% flooded (used DFreveal for a sec to make sure I was going the right way).
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 07:58:46 am »

First death of my challenge already.  Off duty soldier got eaten by a cave crocodile while hauling stuff downstairs.  His buddies turned up a fraction of a second too late to save him, but at least they got to avenge his death.

Gonna have to interrupt relocation from cavern 1 to 3 to find where all his guts went off to and inter them into a casket.

I should probably do something about these unhappy dwarves, too.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 08:32:47 am »

I've got my base camp planned out, digging a few storerooms for my supplies, gonna establish a marble mine to fortify my settlement.

Got a Gorlak and a few Troglodytes wandering about, ill-prepared to fight off an attack, one of my guards was killed by an Alligator, the gator also got my dogs I planned on breeding for war and food In Case of Emergency (ICE).

Have 5 troop types planned, Camp Guardsdwarves, Camp Guard Archers, Cavern Explorers, Cavern Rangers and Militia.

Camp Guardsdwarves will be upgraded to Settlement Guards when the camp number hits 10 and as a result, the guards will get copper armor and weapons instead of bone and leather.

Camp Guard Archers will be upgraded to Settlement Archers when camp number hits 10 as well, but instead of copper (it slows them down), they will get the bone armor they've been missing out on. Their bolts will also become bronze instead of wood or bone.

Cavern Explorers are armed with bone and leather, as well as a buckler and copper sword. Once all of the caverns has been mapped out, they will be upgraded to Cavern Defenders, with bronze armor and swords.

Cavern Rangers will be upgraded to Cavern Scouts when the same criteria are met for the Explorers, but will get bone and leather, instead of metal. Their blowdarts will become bronze, though, instead of wood or bone.

Militia will always get their own clothing and a wooden club I modded in. A club has a tad bit more attack force than a mace, despite being wood.

I'm postponing exploration and outward settling expansion until I get enough cave explorers and camp guards.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:49:33 am »

Update: A Trog is attacking my shroom-chopper and she's fighting back with her hatchet as best she can. I fear I will lose her, like I did that one guard to that gator...