Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Deer N/A - what is it?  (Read 1733 times)

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Deer N/A - what is it?
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 04:47:23 am »

Similar to DNA, Deer N/A are the building blocks of deer.

That made me laugh out loud. My colleagues are now looking at me like I was silly. :D
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 05:01:46 am »

This happens all the time if you've gotten duped raws somehow.

presumably an enum went 1 too high and doesnt crash the game thanks to error handling.

I've always wondered about this. What kind of error handling would allow you to get nonsense things from data that isn't meant to be used that way? Like Missingno in Pokemon. How would you code the ability to do that into your program.

Ok, I'll explain the Missingno bug.

First, where it happened (for those who honestly didn't know): In early Pokémon games, there was a tutorial which showed how to capture wild Pokémons. After watching the tutorial, you could use a Pokémon of your own with the fly-ability to reach Cinnabar Island. There, swimming (or surfing, to be precise) along a certain coastline would provide the Missingno encounter. It was typically a Pokémon with garbled graphics and named "Missingno", although sometimes actual Pokémons (even quite rare ones) could be generated.

Then, why it happened. It has very much to do with the Pokémon capture tutorial and the limited system resources of Game Boys. As the tutorial was shown from the OLD MAN's point of view, the player's name was temporarily, for the duration of the tutorial, changed to "OLD MAN". The actual name of the player had to be stored somewhere so it could be restored once the tutorial was over. The memory slot it was stored into was the same that contained the data that decided what Pokémons could be encountered in this area. This should've caused no trouble at all, as the data in that slot was supposed to be useless in a town, and reloaded after entering any other area.

However, by using the fly ability, one could reach Cinnabar Island and start surfing the coastline without having the Pokémon data updated at all. That's why you still had your name in that memory slot, explaining why choosing a different character name would yield different Pokémons at Cinnabar Island after using the glitch. The most common variant, "Missingno", has the name because of a debug system that helped developers identify broken Pokémons.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:07 am »

Similar to DNA, Deer N/A are the building blocks of deer.

That made me laugh out loud. My colleagues are now looking at me like I was silly. :D

Ditto!
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:34 am »

This happens all the time if you've gotten duped raws somehow.

presumably an enum went 1 too high and doesnt crash the game thanks to error handling.

I've always wondered about this. What kind of error handling would allow you to get nonsense things from data that isn't meant to be used that way? Like Missingno in Pokemon. How would you code the ability to do that into your program.

presumably by catching something like an EnumOutOfRangeException.
Pages: 1 [2]