Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: lethal glass trap components  (Read 1337 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: lethal glass trap components
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 11:44:20 am »

Trap components are often coded to get multiple attacks per component when used in weapon traps, (serrated discs for example get 3 attacks per disc, making 30 attacks per tile in a fully loaded disc weapon trap.)  While normal weapons and some of the less popular trap components always get only one. 
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lethal glass trap components
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 06:35:12 pm »

Trap components are considerably larger than regular weapons, which is a good thing if they don't need to be swung by muscle power. Anyway, what makes a good trap component depends on your aims because traps can jam on an instant kill and you may have a preference for clean or messy.

Glass is weaker than metal but very sharp - good against exposed flesh, struggling against metal armour or even bone. Against partially armoured invaders, I quite like glass disks: Not nearly as maintenance-intensive as metal ones, but good at causing debilitating and eventually-fatal wounds.

Spikes and spiked balls are spiky enough that they'll get through most armour; material is less important here. Spiked balls have too little contact area to cause much bleeding and too little penetration depth to be terribly lethal, they're good if you just want to soften up your invaders in a maintenance-free way. Spikes are quite practical - causing eventually-fatal organ damage with relatively few instant kills and amputations.

I'm not too fond of axe blades (not enough power over disks to accept 1 attack instead of 3) and corkscrews (a little aimless).
Pages: 1 [2]