Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: lethal glass trap components  (Read 1335 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
lethal glass trap components
« on: July 08, 2011, 09:12:21 pm »

If I were to make trap components from glass, which would be the most lethal against a typical siege? And which ones would be better/worse than copper or silver?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 09:37:23 pm by Lagslayer »

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: lethal glass trap components
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 09:51:46 pm »

I have a bunch of weapon traps outside my entrance with a single green glass disk in each (some of them might have 3 disk, I think). I don't rely on them too much, but any goblins or trolls that randomly wander through usually get chopped-up nicely. I bet if you can force them to go through there, it could easily kill an entire squad.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »

Guess I'll try a combination of discs, spikes, and corkscrews. I already got a narrow hallway with lots of loaded silver spiked ball traps, and I could use some variety.

Gonna make the entrance all but impenetrable while still allowing traders and migrants in, then I'll go after the HFS.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:21:00 pm »

Discs and Spikes are good, but I'd throw in some spiked balls as well - they work well against opponents with lots of armor.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 10:29:31 pm »

Discs and Spikes are good, but I'd throw in some spiked balls as well - they work well against opponents with lots of armor.
Got tons of silver for that :).

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 10:36:58 pm »

Got tons of silver for that :).

That's what I'm talkin' about :D

But yeah - the spikes and discs will pretty much eviscerate anything that trips the trap. And reading the combat logs when a moose or something wanders into your trap field is always hilarious.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »

Already getting ducks, capybaras, and buzzards with 'em.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:25:59 pm »

Discs are extremely fatal, but they have a bad habit of jamming up, since jams happen when body parts get stuck in a trap, and discs are incredibly good at severing body parts. It's not at all unusual for a huge line of serrated-disc traps to take out most of a larger siege, only for the few survivors to pick their way through the gore-caked mechanisms that are no longer firing due to the sheer number of limbs caught inside them. I've had good luck with a mix of trap types; corkscrews are good against armored opponents due to their tiny contact area, and axe blades are good against large mounts.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:34:36 pm »

i usually don't bother making very many trap components, most of my weapons traps are filled with base quality weapons. (from training up weapon smiths)

but i've heard that glass makes for great cutting weapons in traps.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:12:15 am »

Stop acting like elves and load up 30+ weapons traps with 10 serrated glass discs each. scoop up the chunks and use as confetti. Nothing that comes at you in vanilla will be armored enough to withstand it. Animals will have several arteries severed and bleed out. Chunks everywhere. Lots and lots of hauling.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:23:06 am »

Stop acting like elves and load up 30+ weapons traps with 10 serrated glass discs each. scoop up the chunks and use as confetti. Nothing that comes at you in vanilla will be armored enough to withstand it. Animals will have several arteries severed and bleed out. Chunks everywhere. Lots and lots of hauling.

So you hide behind an impenetrable wall of glass? You're the damn elf.

Don't use any traps at all.

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:02:42 am »

What about an impenetrable wall of steel?

*grin*

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 07:51:25 am »

No - elves hide behind walls of wood.  Glass just really annoys them :D

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Khris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2011, 08:00:56 am »

So are special trap components generally better than collected weapons from sieges?

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:47 am »

Most of what you get from a siege are no-quality weapons, unless you took out the siege leader or some such. Trap components you make yourself tend to be of higher quality. Unless you're collecting whips... I hear whips are rather useful right now because of how their damage is coded.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.
Pages: [1] 2