Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie Questions  (Read 616 times)

dfJuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie Questions
« on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:11 pm »

First of all, thanks so far for everyone's help in answering my previous questions, this community is really great!

1. After butchering an animal is there a quick way to check what it produced? ie. is there a way to view what's inside a workshop? Viewing with k doesn't seem to work.

2. Can dwarves walk through workshops? If I built a workshop in the middle of a hallway that completely blocks it can people get through? The reason I ask is I thought the answer was no but I recently got a dwarf stuck behind a mason's workshop.

3. I currently have my butcher's shop at the top level of my fort, but its still underground. I'm a little worried of miasma problems as I have no ventilation for it at the moment, but I do have it sealed in its own room with a door. Should I channel out the layer above it as ventilation? I've been afraid of doing that for fear of fun, and the supposed flying mounts I've heard about.

4. What does it mean when an army dwarf becomes attached to a weapon?

5. I'm fiddling around with danger rooms right now, but I'm having trouble getting my army dwarves in there. I currently have them as a 1x4 room, and I try to get dwarves in there through a scheduled "defend burrows", the burrows is defined exactly as the 1x4 room but when the dwarves goto defend it, one or two may enter the room and the others will chill in the hallway outside.

6. I've only used the lazy newb pack, and have no experience with modding or downloading previously generated worlds, is there a good way to find an embark site with a volcano or at least shallow lava?

Thanks again for all your help!

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »

1) You're looking for the t key.

2) All workshops have walkable tiles, but not in the same pattern. When placing the shop, dark green X's are the unwalkable tiles.

3) The simplest immediate solution is to dig out a refuse stockpile room behind it, but make the entry diagonal. Miasma doesn't spread diagonally, so all the stink will be confined to the refuse room. When it's done rotting you may need to quantum dump everything to make room for more.

4) That means they'll now have a strong preference for that weapon over all others. Eventually they'll name it and it gets semi-artifact status.

5) Define a barracks that encompasses the danger room from an armot stand and order the dorfs to train there. They won't leave the bounds of the barracks.

6) I'm not familiar with the LNP, sorry =\ .
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22:11 pm »

First of all, thanks so far for everyone's help in answering my previous questions, this community is really great!

1. After butchering an animal is there a quick way to check what it produced? ie. is there a way to view what's inside a workshop? Viewing with k doesn't seem to work.

Press 't', move the cursor over the workshop.  That should show you all the items in the workshop.

2. Can dwarves walk through workshops? If I built a workshop in the middle of a hallway that completely blocks it can people get through? The reason I ask is I thought the answer was no but I recently got a dwarf stuck behind a mason's workshop.

When you place a workshop, you'll see it as a mixture of light green and dark green squares.  Light green are passable, dark green are impassable.  It's hard (but not impossible) to get a dwarf stuck behind a mason's workshop.  It happens more commonly with bowyer's workshops or jeweler's workshops.

3. I currently have my butcher's shop at the top level of my fort, but its still underground. I'm a little worried of miasma problems as I have no ventilation for it at the moment, but I do have it sealed in its own room with a door. Should I channel out the layer above it as ventilation? I've been afraid of doing that for fear of fun, and the supposed flying mounts I've heard about.

Ventilation doesn't matter.  Objects in tiles which have never been exposed to the sky release miasma when they rot.  Objects in tiles which have ever been exposed to the sky don't release miasma when they rot.  if you channel out the surface over the butcher's workshop, exposing it to the sky, and then cover it with a constructed floor on the level above, rotting items in the butcher's workshop won't produce miasma.  Of course, the best thing to do it not to let items rot in the workshop in the first place - have enough haulers and meat/refuse stockpiles to get everything moved into.

4. What does it mean when an army dwarf becomes attached to a weapon?

It means they really really like the weapon, and will be reluctant to change to a different weapon.

5. I'm fiddling around with danger rooms right now, but I'm having trouble getting my army dwarves in there. I currently have them as a 1x4 room, and I try to get dwarves in there through a scheduled "defend burrows", the burrows is defined exactly as the 1x4 room but when the dwarves goto defend it, one or two may enter the room and the others will chill in the hallway outside.

It's hard to do.  When a squad moves to a location, they actually move to random spots near the location.  You may have better results using a squad move command to get them there, rather than having them defend a burrow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:28 am »

6. I've only used the lazy newb pack, and have no experience with modding or downloading previously generated worlds, is there a good way to find an embark site with a volcano or at least shallow lava?

Thanks again for all your help!

when looking for an embark site, you will see little red towers on the map (phoebus...havnt used ascii for a long time so cant recall if its different or not).....these are volcanoes.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."