Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18201 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #210 on: June 08, 2011, 05:22:49 pm »

On that note, the PS3 is the only system to run MAG, an FPS with up to 512 players competing per match. Its biggest flaw is that having a character in more than one faction at a time requires DLC for extra character slots.

And this makes me sad, always wanted to try MAG, but people were saying some magical quality of the PS3 network made it possible while it was just not possible without an expensive ass server setup on PC.

But yeah. PS3 only does cross-platform when the sales numbers justify it. ****, if Demon Soul's was on PC I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Oh and:

Quote from: Yahtzee
...missing the appeal of a second fucking job you have to pay for.

Maybe he didn't know, or chose not to address it at all, but for a few people that job turned into a scam for hundreds of thousands of dollars. That's been what's always made me want to avoid EVE. I don't want to play by myself, but fuck getting involved in even more corporate guild shit. WoW had plenty of that without the financial incentive.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 05:29:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 08, 2011, 05:47:15 pm »

On that note, the PS3 is the only system to run MAG, an FPS with up to 512 players competing per match. Its biggest flaw is that having a character in more than one faction at a time requires DLC for extra character slots.
And this makes me sad, always wanted to try MAG, but people were saying some magical quality of the PS3 network made it possible while it was just not possible without an expensive ass server setup on PC.

But yeah. PS3 only does cross-platform when the sales numbers justify it. ****, if Demon Soul's was on PC I'd buy that in a heart beat.

Even the combination of all cool games for the PS3 doesn't make it worth purchasing. I spent far too much on my awesome gaming rig for that. =p

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 08, 2011, 08:53:26 pm »

That isn't true though. It isn't a scam that you refuse to play unless you have the nicest ship. You can hop in a cheap frig and join a corp to fight with on day 1. Furthermore, 99% of eve is knowing HOW to play it and WHO to pay with. Even if CCP let you jump in a nice expensive ship on day 1 you would only get blown up in it because you had no corp and no knowledge of what to do.
That 99% can apply to any multiplayer game there is. I say the very same thing about TF2. It's not about having the nicest ship. It's about waiting 10 days to have something that at most increases your abilities in 5%. It's waiting a week or more to be able to try another ship. Everything skill related in EVE is meant to make you wait to have diversity and choice. Not only that, but it's exponential waiting, even when you get all the training skills and do like I used to do back in the way, minmax your character for training, you still have to wait a long fucking time just to get your hands on something else. Doesn't mean it's something better, just something else, just another toy to play with and then realize it's all the same thing and they only look different with a few different slots.

That's just one issue. In my point of view, the main problem is that the two other main activities that can be done alone or in group are really pointless. They're basically questing or ganking. Grinding your contacts was annoying to say the least (just like most quest grinding in any mmo, to be fair) and ganking, well, you usually picked your targets so well it was either sad or annoying. So you basically got annoyed or annoyed others for fun.

I used to be in a corp and we had some amazing fights, which were the highlights of EVE. But then I could hop to warhammer or TF2 and have the very same intensity of fights without waiting much for something different, or in the case of TF2, without paying monthly for what can be basically described as waiting.

I can understand the appeal of the space genre and I do wish for a nice space game. But it's just not for me. I will wait for Infinity and hope that one wont turn out to be boring to me.

Sorry, I ended ranting about eve again. As you can probably tell, I really wanted to like it.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 08, 2011, 11:21:11 pm »

You don't have to like the game, just don't call it a scam when so many people love the system it uses :D

Also, the learning skill critique is valid which is why they gave everyone all level V in them and reimbursed any sp spent on them. If you played today you might have 2 mil sp just chilling to do whatever you wanted with. You also get neural remaps to distribute points however you want, I get 2700 sp/hour training prolific skills.

Thanks to those changes, a new player can be in a T2 fitted BC in 2 weeks.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 09, 2011, 12:46:29 am »

Just because people love something, doesn't mean they aren't being scammed. It was even more of a huge time scam back then. At least the last time I played they added a queue, but you could only skill a single character which only supports the scammy nature of the skill system. Glad they are at least trying to get somewhat past that.

Don't get me wrong on this, that's a flaw present in a lot of mmos where they purposefully introduce time wasters to keep people playing paying for longer. It's just a lot more blatantly so in EVE.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 09, 2011, 02:49:23 am »

I honestly don't know if I buy that it's a "time waster", especially since it's something completely independent of what you actually do in the game. Making you wait for new stuff only wastes your time if you don't actually spend that time having fun in the game.

Basically, I'm rejecting the notion that time spent not getting New Shit is "wasted", and the assumption that getting New Shit is the object of every MMO.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 09, 2011, 10:14:24 am »

IIRC whoever broke into RSA's systems stole security tokens with which they could reverse the encryption of anyone who had used them, or something like that. RSA offered to replace them for their most important customers. But that isn't how Sony's stuff was broken into, as far as I've heard. SQL injection, for one, has nothing to do with that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]