Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Sony's Bullshit  (Read 18197 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Bullshit
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:54 pm »

For a surcharge fee of 15% ISK of your initial purchase (purchasable from CCP) you can have the rifle you paid money for now, and circumvent the mandatory 2 week waiting period.

Whatever the game is like, I've never heard good things about CCP's profiteering.

I think the big reason this happenedis because Sony prosecuted GeoHot, which they should have done considering the guy released the master security key for their system, which basically meant they couldn't protect against piracy anymore. Bad for business, methinks. Should've been keeping their security for everything else a bit more... formidable though. Massive failure on their part.

Meh. What might have started as retaliation for the GeoHot thing has now become an all out troll-fest and/or serious exploitation of user data. Sony put themselves on the radar by doing that, and in turn got inspected by everyone from Anonymous to Lulzsec. Everyone is taking a crack at their infrastructure now, for fun and profit. I don't think Internet justice has anything to do with it anymore.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:31:07 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2011, 08:27:50 pm »

An FPS connected to EVE....

and it's PS3 exclusive? WTF
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 07, 2011, 08:39:10 pm »

"Sir, when can I use that awesome looking rifle that's just slightly better than mine?"

"Son, stop playing for 2 weeks then come back."

"But sir, I want to play and I already have money for it."

"We do not care son, pay for another month of subscription then come back."

You say that like it is a bad thing. In other MMOs you have to spend 2 weeks grinding npc monsters just to afford to buy something, much less be the right level to use it.

Eve values your game time and lets you spend it actually fighting people. I don't see it as a bad thing, and many of the players in fights like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UOjK8_bWqo are only a few weeks old.

Money is also easy to get. A friend of mine started and after two weeks he had enough money to buy a 10mil sp character, lol.

That being said, eve dust isn't going to work like EVE at all. Pretty much the entire base of planetside/tribes plays EVE, so it will probably work like that.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 07, 2011, 08:44:40 pm »

CCP has proven itself to be able to make

Ahem *clears throat*

THE MOST BORING MMO EVER MADE.

"Sir, when can I use that awesome looking rifle that's just slightly better than mine?"

"Son, stop playing for 2 weeks then come back."

"But sir, I want to play and I already have money for it."

"We do not care son, pay for another month of subscription then come back."

*spit*

>:|

Wait, it's boring because you can't upgrade your items through immediate play? I don't get it.

Or maybe I'm just enough of an old geezer to assume that games were "boring" if their actual gameplay were lacking, as opposed to it meaning that their skinner-box reward-lever doesn't give you special treats often enough in response to your hideously repetitive actions.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 07, 2011, 09:52:22 pm »

It bet it's because they thought the PS3 would never have piracy or hackers or...
It's actually probably because Microsoft's online is notoriously hard to compromise with for things like patches, mmos, etc. That's why we've only ever seen one 360 MMO.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 07, 2011, 11:41:55 pm »

"Microsoft's online"?  :/

At any rate, why wouldn't Sony assume that their databases/services would be the target of hacks? Do they think nerds don't pay attention to game companies, or something equally ridiculous?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 08, 2011, 08:30:06 am »

Dust 514, Sony exclusive? ಠ_ಠ

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 08, 2011, 01:35:37 pm »

I like to think that dust will be ported to xbox at some point.

Seriously, why leave us out :(
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #203 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »

Competative reaction based games can not coexist on different platforms. In the case of a competative reaction based mmo, they would have to have completely isolated virtual worlds for each supported platform. This isn't much of a problem for instance based games like COD, but it means a pretty big investment for an mmo.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 08, 2011, 01:51:30 pm »

You say that like it is a bad thing. In other MMOs you have to spend 2 weeks grinding npc monsters just to afford to buy something, much less be the right level to use it.
It -is- a bad thing. A really bad bad thing. I never said anything about other mmos being good and your example is just as bad.

What I said this was the most boring one.

The fuck it values your time spent. Well, it certainly values the time you spend with them. Actually, what CCP likes is that you pay them and don't play. Saves them bandwidth and power usage and at that, they're the grand daddy of all scammos.

Wait, it's boring because you can't upgrade your items through immediate play? I don't get it.

Or maybe I'm just enough of an old geezer to assume that games were "boring" if their actual gameplay were lacking, as opposed to it meaning that their skinner-box reward-lever doesn't give you special treats often enough in response to your hideously repetitive actions.
Nope, that's just one of the most horrible issues EVE has. The gameplay in eve is extremely fucking lacking. Back when I played it for around 6 months when it started, you basically waited for skills, made ISK (which was even more meaningless back then), did some crappy contracts or missions, fought jerks, mined over night, or got ganked by assholes near gates (or ganked people by the gates).

So the most entertaining parts of the game is either being pissed off or pissing people off. I just don't get it. Why anyone wants to play a fucking game to be bored and annoyed? I'd rather be an old geezer and grind my x-com missions than a fucking retarded youngling who gets off by doing nothing for a week and then orgasming to a gank by a gate. Which is something extremely ironic to say, due to the fact modern games are extremely lacking, plain, and without any thought required, so your example of what an old geezer would be is exactly what a new gamer is.

I tried it again lately with all the 'new' features and bleh, still fucking boring.

Anyway, go yahtzee go.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Fucking nerds in space.

It bet it's because they thought the PS3 would never have piracy or hackers or...
It's actually probably because Microsoft's online is notoriously hard to compromise with for things like patches, mmos, etc. That's why we've only ever seen one 360 MMO.
Why would they put it in a console in the first place? 100% of the people who play EVE obviously uses a computer to play games.

Competative reaction based games can not coexist on different platforms. In the case of a competative reaction based mmo, they would have to have completely isolated virtual worlds for each supported platform. This isn't much of a problem for instance based games like COD, but it means a pretty big investment for an mmo.
Only because programmers are fuckwads nowadays and consoles are more and more restrictive with their networking.

Stick to the PC.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 08, 2011, 02:01:42 pm »

You don't hear about those because its not newsworthy.

Also, if I recall there was a hacker who was searching for the existence of aliens, and he left notes on how the US's system was so bad in the process. Surprise surprise, the US wants to imprison him.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 08, 2011, 02:06:31 pm »

You can think that but you would be wrong.. as someone who only owns 3 ps3 titles, even I can see that a massive battlefield simulation is the one thing the cell and only the cell can do.

The fuck it values your time spent. Well, it certainly values the time you spend with them. Actually, what CCP likes is that you pay them and don't play. Saves them bandwidth and power usage and at that, they're the grand daddy of all scammos.

That isn't true though. It isn't a scam that you refuse to play unless you have the nicest ship. You can hop in a cheap frig and join a corp to fight with on day 1. Furthermore, 99% of eve is knowing HOW to play it and WHO to pay with. Even if CCP let you jump in a nice expensive ship on day 1 you would only get blown up in it because you had no corp and no knowledge of what to do.

The gameplay in eve is extremely fucking lacking. Back when I played it for around 6 months when it started, you basically waited for skills, made ISK (which was even more meaningless back then), did some crappy contracts or missions, fought jerks, mined over night, or got ganked by assholes near gates (or ganked people by the gates).

Did you try making friends and getting involved in the game outside of playing with yourself?

If you're looking for a single payer game, most would agree that EVE is totally pointless for that.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #207 on: June 08, 2011, 02:45:59 pm »

You can think that but you would be wrong.. as someone who only owns 3 ps3 titles, even I can see that a massive battlefield simulation is the one thing the cell and only the cell can do.

On that note, the PS3 is the only system to run MAG, an FPS with up to 512 players competing per match. Its biggest flaw is that having a character in more than one faction at a time requires DLC for extra character slots.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 08, 2011, 04:15:45 pm »

Also, if I recall there was a hacker who was searching for the existence of aliens, and he left notes on how the US's system was so bad in the process. Surprise surprise, the US wants to imprison him.

They want to sue him, but not the guy who found flaws in just about every modern computer, that makes it vulnerable? http://mindprod.com/jgloss/eideflaw.html

Welcome to the world, ain't it great.

Seraph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 08, 2011, 04:30:37 pm »

They want to sue him, but not the guy who found flaws in just about every modern computer, that makes it vulnerable? http://mindprod.com/jgloss/eideflaw.html
Computers using motherboards from 1998 are not "modern".
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15