Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Your danger room  (Read 1886 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your danger room
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 03:28:34 am »

If your happiness levels can otherwise take it then yeah, its almost worth the trade :P

My preferred solution is a block of butchers shops in the main meeting hall, no-one enters the military until they dont care (a tag which about 70 of my 160 dwarves have)
For extra bonuses one wall is glass windows and looks out onto the goblin drop pit.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Tetragenic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 09:30:13 am »

*Steel menacing spike*s. That's the dwarven way. 8)

And also the stupid, get-everyone-killed way.

No... the DWARVEN way. Include magma if possible.
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Dwarven Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 12:15:05 pm »

Frankly, I think children and pets being impaled by wooden spears is a boon. Make those buggers hardened mentally as well as physically.

I agree with that, and I don't lock doors to danger room (which is 4x1, and soldiers are stationed there for 2 months every year on average, though legendaries are made in about one week). I disable repeating as soon as I get an announcement that one Kitty McSpam  has bled to death or Goosie McPie was impaled on spikes. That allows civilians to remove corpses and bury them (though for some reason they usually throw it on the refuse stockpile outside, or bury Goosie's beak in the coffin an throw away Goosie's corpse). When Urist McJunior suffocates it means the body is carried away by mother, and there's no need to turn DR off. Good soldiers are still happy though. It hardens them. Really, they are "getting used to tragedy".

Angry Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • Prone to catastrophic apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2011, 12:17:47 pm »

Everyone else is making sure to put ten spikes/spears in each trap, right?

Danger rooms have been a real boon to my forts. The only military gear we need, per dorf, is as follows:

1x shield, any material.
1x weapon, any.

The danger room lets me mass-produce uberdorfs, so I can quickly replace Urists lost to poisonous extract and other attacks that their legendary shieldsmanship can't handle.
FUN FOR THE FUN GOD

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2011, 01:45:39 pm »

Danger rooms have been a real boon to my forts. The only military gear we need, per dorf, is as follows:

1x shield, any material.
1x weapon, any.

The danger room lets me mass-produce uberdorfs, so I can quickly replace Urists lost to poisonous extract and other attacks that their legendary shieldsmanship can't handle.

Combat is random, no matter how legendary all your fighters are they're going to be taken down by some random, novice goblinspearsman at one time.

My point being: Armor is a necessity.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2011, 02:05:52 pm »

1x shield, any material.
1x weapon, any.

Combat is random, no matter how legendary all your fighters are they're going to be taken down by some random, novice goblinspearsman at one time.

My point being: Armor is a necessity.

I've found that once dwarves hit legendary, there are only a few causes of death:
1) player-induced accidents (no food, inopportune drawbridge, tantrum, magma)
2) Syndrome
3) Giant creatures one-hit-killing them
4) Charging into too many missiles
5) Getting exhausted and isolated in the battlefield

These things can all theoretically be avoided with good planning and foresight without need for armor; but most forts will eventually be so rich anyway that it's not far out of your way to get fully-kitted dwarves anyway.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2011, 02:20:48 pm »

Wouldn't it be easier to mod the wood you are using?  I'm sure babies and dogs can surviving being stabbed with a nurf spear.

Hreidmar

• Bay Watcher
  • "Boom" goes the dynamite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2011, 04:00:35 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what dire predicament are you guys in where you actually need danger rooms? I have a military that's like three or four years old, and about half of my dwarfs have reached legendary status just through honest training. I mean, it's not like 40d when you have an army of steel-encased War-Gods by the time the first Goblin ambush comes, but still.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 04:14:36 pm »

My danger room is a meeting hall only accessible to the surface, filled with iron spikes and a few nice steel ones, constantly recirculating.

I still get swarms of immigrants for some reason.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2011, 04:16:22 pm »

After watching 2 Dwarves train from about level 3 Swordsdwarves to legendary in almost all skills in the space of about 2 years, I see danger rooms as a huge exploit.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 04:33:44 pm »

My standard danger room is a 1x4 room right beside the main entrance.  The lever is in the middle of the 3 wide hallway.  Behind the lever is the doggy romp room (meeting room or pasture).  Thieves walk in, get seen and don't walk out. 

Lately I have been training my miners instead of military.  And yes, after getting the armor done, a danger room is faster than just digging... which seems odd.

A few alsos:
If training a warrior, train with armor and weapon first.  Then with armor and shield.  Then with only armor.  That way you get good at weapon and shield and dodge.  But at any time you probably have someone who can deal with the current threat.

And given I like to run with population < 20, I like my 3 man armies, hence using the sploit.
Pages: 1 [2]