Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Your danger room  (Read 1889 times)

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Your danger room
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:24:56 pm »

Do a lot of people have danger rooms? Mine is 3x2, it started out with one tile having a copper spear but my captain of the guard lost his hand to it.
I got one of my fighters to legendary fighter, swordsdwarf, shield user and dodger.
They're very useful.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Your danger room
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 07:55:10 pm »

Ah see there's your problem what you actually want to use is #STEEL SPEAR#s. Or an upright spike trap with no-quality training spears :D

Sir Leonard III

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »

Ah see there's your problem what you actually want to use is #STEEL SPEAR#s. Or an upright spike trap with no-quality training spears :D

I'm using all training spears with an upright spike trap now, sorry if there was any confusion.
I just station a soldier in there, then put the lever on repeat when I lock them in. If they get too hurt from a training spear then they deserve to die.
Hush little baby, listen to my song,
Mamma's gonna tan you a troll leather thong.
And if that thong don't menace with spikes,
Mamma's gonna kill you whatever you like...

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 08:03:54 pm »

I usually do a 3X1 training room. A door on the outside, the weapon trap with 10 training spears, and internal door that is locked to prevent dwarves from standing on the armor stand behind it (thereby avoiding the whole "danger" part). It's always been enough with my military, but they frequently dodge out into the hall when their skill gets high enough, then it takes a while for them to squeeze back in. A larger one is probably better for a large military.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 08:26:36 pm by Lagslayer »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 08:20:55 pm »

I've only ever used one. A 3x1 room with a door at one end. 3 weapon traps, each with 10 training spears. Door at one end. Traps linked to a lever.

That's probably the best small-scale design. It can comfortably train up to six dwarves. Make sure you don't let pets in! Guineafowl blood covered the walls of that thing for months.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 08:33:53 pm »

*Steel menacing spike*s. That's the dwarven way. 8)

And also the stupid, get-everyone-killed way.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:40:43 pm »

myself, my danger room is a 5 x 9 barracks area directly off the main entrance to my fort.  everything that enters has to walk past my dwarves that are constantly sparring and training their melee skills.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 10:16:48 pm »

My danger room is a 6x6 room that I have full of upright spear traps except for 1 space that I have an armour stand.

Then I set the room as the room for all my squads to train in and the lever in my dining hall on repeat.

TheeBaconman

• Bay Watcher
  • Topics normally misunderstood. Dabbling worder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 11:57:48 pm »

*Steel menacing spike*s. That's the dwarven way. 8)

And also the stupid, get-everyone-killed way.

There's a distinction?
"A stupid is, a stupid dies." -Tribes 2

Think of the children?!
You sick freak.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 12:53:11 am »

I just fill my dining room and main hallway with *Menacing Steel and Iron Spikes* that are connected to a repeating lever... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:58:34 am by Kepplerr »
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 01:13:41 am »

I prefer to capture goblins, strip them of their weapon and shield, plant their cages in a dungeon hooked up to a couple of levers, then lock a military dwarf in with a training weapon and wooden shield and let him chase them around for a couple of months until the greenskinned little shits are so bruised and broken they lie down in a quivering heap of abused flesh and Urist McLegendaryHammerer bounces his wooden training hammer off their -Bronze Cap- enough times that their brain turns to mush.

I just wish I knew a way to arm goblins with wooden weapons so they'd fight back.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2011, 02:16:02 am »

No danger rooms for me, it seems more like an exploit then a feature.
Much like I don't use atom smashing and avoid quantum stockpiling as much I can.

Crioca that's awesome, it reminded me of The Horribly Slow Murderer with the Extremely Inefficient Weapon.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 02:17:49 am by Jelle »

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2011, 03:01:00 am »

5*5 connected to a goblin repeater.

I also have a training arena, but I don't use it that often since the last time my guys showed up at a real fight afterwards wielding training axes :P
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2011, 03:21:25 am »

The danger room shouldnt be seriously injuring your dwarves.  The militia ideally should never even notice.  If you have more than 2-3 spears per tile then any civvies passing through are at risk though (even just 1 spear will nail babies and pets).

The most important thing is hoods and cloaks for anyone whos going to be in there.  People say helmet, but a hood will stop a training spear just fine.  The reason you take hood and cloak first is that they are the only armour piece that covers certain weird hit locations like toes and some facial parts.  Note that cloak is the only thing that covers throat which is a frequent source of BS deaths both in danger rooms and out of them.

Mine personally is a 3 tile design I got from these forums.  Armor stand, forbidden door and 1 tile with 10 spears where everyone stands.  If you kitted your military properly you dont have to worry about training spear quality either. (mine are masterwork, sometime the dwarves admire a sublime trap as they beat off its spears)
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 03:24:43 am »

Frankly, I think children and pets being impaled by wooden spears is a boon. Make those buggers hardened mentally as well as physically.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: [1] 2