Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: RE:Atomsmasher  (Read 3155 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RE:Atomsmasher
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 05:07:23 am »

No, I don't want to kill my nobles (yet).

I want to throw trash down from a room above; I mass-mark everything for dumping, but the dwarves do not toss things down the hole.
Ah.

z = 1

fff
gcf
fff

z = 0

bfw

f = floor
w = wall
b = raised drawbridge, covers the f in the middle normally, when not raised.
c = channeled hole in the ground
g = your "i" garbage zone

I think you are missing the garbage zone if they don't throw your stuff down into the hole. It has to be next to the hole in the ground, not over the hole itself. If you have this setup already, check if the garbage zone is currently active or not (the "active" has to be highlighted), and check if they're dumping stuff at other garbage zones that you installed earlier.

(And Lordcrust wanted to smash his nobles, even if you didn't. :)  )
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:10:52 am by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 05:09:49 am »

I made the garbage zone on the hole itself, and it was not working.
Why they would throw the trash in the hole that is just next to the designated dump zone?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 05:13:03 am »

I wondered about that as well when I found that my dwarves had thrown a lot of stuff into the aquifer once, or into the tile next to where I had discovered the semi-molten rock. I sometimes dump stuff that I want to reclaim later, so I was quite pissed off then.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 04:37:03 pm »

I always make my pit garbage zones over the pit/magma chute itself, including one tile of border all around to give them somewhere to stand from.  They never place things on the border, always throwing them down the hole.  Consider making more than one approach to the pit if you have a one tile hallway leading to it, and try to put more than just one tile of the garbage zone on floor, or 50 haulers will try to throw their rock from the same spot and cause a massive pileup.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »

Just wanted to note nothing says the pit has to just be 1 floor above. I usually build boring-but-efficient reverse tower forts, so in between cavern levels there's a channeled hole 20-30 Z-levels tall that all dump orders to go. You can connect it for every floor you want to use, trash dumping will never take longer than walking halfway across one Z-level.

Cleared out 96 4-tile bedrooms in about a week, game time.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 06:44:41 am »

Indeed, it works. I had however defined two rows of channeled holes, with two rows of walkable floor between them, like so:

Code: [Select]
++++++
+....+
++++++
+....+
++++++

And I made the whole surface a garbage dump. Result: garbage was being thrown down only in the upper hole (that was the farthest from the pile, as the pile was locates south). For the next dump I will be creating two different garbage dumps, one for each row of channeled holes. My prediction is that in this case, only the lower one (the closer to the garbage pile) will be used.
This evening after work I will see...
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.
Pages: 1 [2]