Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RE:Atomsmasher  (Read 3147 times)

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
RE:Atomsmasher
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:50:10 am »

Now I understand that the atomsmasher is just a bridge, however how would you go about getting the items into the smash zone?

I can't build a refuse pile under it as it counts as a building, nor can you build a bridge over one. So how can I effectively get my dwarves to stock refuse under it without having to constantly build and destroy?
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RE:Atomsmasher
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 10:52:17 am »

try marking a dumping zone under it, then marking the items you want smashed for dumping [k]->[d]
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 10:55:49 am »

Make a hole above the bridge, and mark a garbage Zone next to it. Your dwarves will throw junk over the edge. Stockpiles can only bring your refuse near it, you can't automatically bring refuse directly under a bridge (and this would be dangerous anyway). So periodically you need to mass-designate (d-b-d) your stockpile's contents as Dump.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 11:12:01 am »

Make a hole above the bridge, and mark a garbage Zone next to it. Your dwarves will throw junk over the edge. Stockpiles can only bring your refuse near it, you can't automatically bring refuse directly under a bridge (and this would be dangerous anyway). So periodically you need to mass-designate (d-b-d) your stockpile's contents as Dump.

This is an excellent idea. Thankyou very much. Much safer than dumping under a bridge, and it can be built out of the way with no needed access once it is built.
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:09 am »

Plans for the simplest atomsmasher:

O-wall
X-floor
G-Bridge raise tile
g-bridge lower tile
^-stair up
v-stair down
d-door
.-open space

OOOO^
OGgO^     -----z:0
OdOO^

XXXXv
XX. Xv     -----z:1
XXXXv

Connect the bridge to lever, raise it, place a dump zone over the hole, and enjoy your simple dwarven atomsmasher, a must have for every fort

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:18 pm »

This is a great thing to have right near where you slaughter all the incoming goblins.  You can immediately dump all their crap within only 5-15 steps.  Then smash it.
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »

You can also make a 1-tile raising bridge in a pit, and hook it up to a pressure plate on the path the dwarves will take to dump the items.  Then they'll trigger the smashing part by themselves, no levers necessary.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 08:45:12 pm »

You can also make a 1-tile raising bridge in a pit, and hook it up to a pressure plate on the path the dwarves will take to dump the items.  Then they'll trigger the smashing part by themselves, no levers necessary.

Brilliant!  I never bothered with a pit, but might be cool way to avoid needing a lever.

Lordcryst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 08:51:04 pm »

Might be completely off topic, but how do you get your useless nobles to stand still on the smasher?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:33 pm »

Might be completely off topic, but how do you get your useless nobles to stand still on the smasher?

Create a lever where the only accessible pull location is under an atom smasher.
Connect lever to atom smasher and set it to "usable by nobles only".
Watch the noble enter and lock (forbid) the door as soon as he enters to prevent him from leaving during the 100 frame time period between lever pull and noble-smash.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:04:59 am »

Create a lever where the only accessible pull location is under an atom smasher.
Connect lever to atom smasher and set it to "usable by nobles only".
Watch the noble enter and lock (forbid) the door as soon as he enters to prevent him from leaving during the 100 frame time period between lever pull and noble-smash.

It'd have to be off-center, as you can't build a lever under a bridge. Still, if you locked the door, left him in there, and had him toggle the lever enough times, he'd eventually get atomsmash'd.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

Igawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:16:41 am »

Just a quick note on the pit+pressure plate method. The one downside to that setup is that it is fully automatic, so if you accidentally dump something important without realizing it (such as formerly constructed, highly decorated platinum furniture, the result of dumping loose stones), there's a very short timeframe before you can get it back, if at all before you realize what has happened. Using a lever takes more of your input, but it might be warranted considering everything atomsmashed is completely removed from the game.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:04 am »

Plans for the simplest atomsmasher:

O-wall
X-floor
G-Bridge raise tile
g-bridge lower tile
^-stair up
v-stair down
d-door
.-open space

OOOO^
OGgO^     -----z:0
OdOO^

XXXXv
XX. Xv     -----z:1
XXXXv

Connect the bridge to lever, raise it, place a dump zone over the hole, and enjoy your simple dwarven atomsmasher, a must have for every fort

I prepared a layout similar to this one, but the dwarves won't drop stuff through the channeled hole designated to dump zone. Instead, I managed to get it working by designating the area under the bridge as a dump zone, and the dwarves phisically enter the trash compactor to throw the trash, which could be FUN.

Am I doing anything wrong?
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 04:46:52 am »

Raise your atomsmasher. Draw a burrow into the area that it smashes. Assign your beloved noble or immigrant to this burrow, wait a bit, then pull the lever.

Similar for pets, only that you need to draw a pen/pasture below the atomsmasher in that case.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 04:50:57 am »

No, I don't want to kill my nobles (yet).

I want to throw trash down from a room above; I mass-mark everything for dumping, but the dwarves do not toss things down the hole.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.
Pages: [1] 2