Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifer question.  (Read 500 times)

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
Aquifer question.
« on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:25 am »

So for the last two days i've been trying to get through aquifers. I can plug a single one fine, but the problem is, it seems my entire world is covered in dual aquifers, everywhere.

I've tried alot, the dual plugging tutorial from the wiki, freezing, pumping, digging around.. Just wont do. Is there any way tag in the raws or in advanced world genning that allows only single layer aquifers to be genned, or any advice on how to man up and deal with them properly?

PCpaste

• Bay Watcher
  • This is how smithing works. (For dwarves at least)
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifer question.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:33:15 am »

I got fed up with aquifers, myself.

No more aquifers for me.

Also, have you tried embarking on someplace made of clay, or a mountain? I've actually had more luck with finding aquifer-less tiles in places with a main river in it, because of all the clay and such.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where an Artificial Intelligence-controlled unit can pull the pants off someone and the proceed to beat said someone to death with said pants.

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:21:38 am »

Well the thing is that aquifers are really useful for water wheels, etc and i could use that to pump up magma for once.

Will try embarking next to a mountain, maybe one half of the map will have the aquifer and the other half wont.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 08:24:56 am by IcarusOne »

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.0 - Two excellent ways on piercing aquifers. The second method can take a bit of time (lots of cancellation due to area flooded, but just keep un-suspending and you'll build the walls), but its so ridiculously easy that I've turned aquifers back on - plus endless source of water, anyone?

IcarusOne

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

Ohhh, sweet, will try later, finally got a single layer right now though.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 03:42:19 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=79224.0 - Two excellent ways on piercing aquifers. The second method can take a bit of time (lots of cancellation due to area flooded, but just keep un-suspending and you'll build the walls), but its so ridiculously easy that I've turned aquifers back on - plus endless source of water, anyone?

I can not recommend that method enough.. hence my signature linking to it.