Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High boots don't exist? huh? not invented or something?  (Read 645 times)

silversurfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High boots don't exist? huh? not invented or something?
« on: April 09, 2011, 04:08:14 pm »

Its kinda wierd.  Or is it a bug I wasn't able to find?

RopeMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High boots don't exist? huh? not invented or something?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 04:14:04 pm »

They're probably foreign to your particular dwarven civilization. Remember when you hit tab on the choose embark location screen and it says "Your Civilizations"? You accidently picked a randomly generated civ that hasn't found out how to make high boots  :P

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 04:39:10 pm »

I know I've heard of this happening several times before but I still have to wonder how it's even possible. I thought all dwarven civs can make everything listed in the dwarven entity file? I thought that was how they always had access to pig iron, steel and bronze even when they don't have the raw materials? How does something on that list not show up, and why is it always high boots?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:41:25 pm »

The game makes sure one item of each class designated as COMMON is picked per civ (at random). Whether or not that civ gets the other items, regardless of whether they're COMMON or whatever else, is entirely up to chance. The civ that you're playing as must've started out with low boots and failed their roll to get high boots as well.

The reason it's "always high boots" is because you notice it more often due to lack of boot varieties.

RopeMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 04:43:25 pm »

A good indication of whether you can make something or not with your civ is finding it in the "prepare for the journey carefully" item screen. If you see high boots there, you civ can make high boots. This list has nothing to do with what raw materials are available at your biome.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:13:24 pm »

I know I've heard of this happening several times before but I still have to wonder how it's even possible. I thought all dwarven civs can make everything listed in the dwarven entity file? I thought that was how they always had access to pig iron, steel and bronze even when they don't have the raw materials? How does something on that list not show up, and why is it always high boots?
Every civilization has at least one piece of armor for each body part if there is one labeled COMMON in the entity file. However, if there's more than one labeled COMMON, you aren't sure to get more than one. Changing a particular armor piece to FORCED will ensure that all civilizations of that race have that armor type.

The materials thing is because the game only checks to see if a reaction can produce a material and not if they have the reagents available. The alloy reactions of course produce those materials, hence why you've always got them, but iron and such are produced by the ore function and so don't have producing reactions.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

silversurfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 06:53:03 pm »

Ok well then low boots for ALL!  I wonder how much of a loss that is in armoring capacity?  Any ideas on how to counter this loss in shin armor?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:34 pm »

Greaves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:06:49 pm »

High boots cover the lower leg.  Low boots don't.  Greaves, leggings, long skirts, pants, dresses, and robes all cover the entire lower body, including the lower leg.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 10:29:55 pm »

You will lose a little overlap on the lower leg area, but not all that much to worry about, especially now that crutches work.