Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: High Boots  (Read 1698 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High Boots
« on: March 23, 2011, 05:46:18 am »

So after the whole Dragonwork debacle, I've started a new fortress. I have a steel industry going, punched through the aquifer like an angry god looking for sacrifices, I haven't hit a cavern yet but I've mined 60 zlevels down. Everything's going fine, but when I went to set up my dwarves uniform, I saw that it said high boots were foreign. After checking, I noticed I couldn't make them either.

I guess this is normal, but why? In dragonwork, all my soldiers wore high boots because I could make them. Why can't I now? Or if this is normal, why could I then?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 05:53:40 am by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High Boots
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 05:52:39 am »

You must've picked a different dwarf civ at embark.

The game makes sure one item of each class designated as COMMON is picked per civ (at random). Whether or not that civ gets the other items, regardless of whether they're COMMON or whatever else, is entirely up to chance. The civ that you're playing as must've started out with low boots and failed their roll to get high boots as well.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:55:25 am »

Hm. Well that sucks.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:19:20 am »

I've never heard of that...
I guess it's pretty rare to have a civ missrolling?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:20 am »

Everything available to dwarves is COMMON except for togas, so the chances of getting a decent selection of stuff are pretty good. You'll occasionally hear of a civ not being able to make boots or gauntlets or breastplates or something.

The effect's a little more severe when it comes to humans (they have a few UNCOMMON things), but even then it's not anything anybody'd miss, like headscarves and turbans. Overall the game's pretty lenient in this regard.

Si Fi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 12:09:18 pm »

Yea, I've had this same issue, with high boots as well no less. This explains a lot.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 12:30:36 pm »

There is quite some variation in available clothing, high boots are simply the thing players will miss most (as it's the most likely to result in more maimed dwarves). Dresses are nice to have but not essential.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:47:18 pm »

You can still get full metal leg protection by using greaves/leggings with low boots. The main advantage of high boots is that they protct both feet and lower leg, so when used with mail shirts (which protect upper legs) you don't stricktly need greaves.

Rude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »

The main advantage of high boots is that they protct both feet and lower leg, so when used with mail shirts (which protect upper legs) you don't stricktly need greaves.
I did not know this.

Strictly, btw.

Valkyrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:06:49 pm »

heh, curious, I just got my first high-boot-less fort, too.  I'm used to not having Coats, but I'm so used to High Boots and Dresses I'd assumed they were guarenteed (the same fort lacks access to Dresses; so much for my standard uniform).

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 08:03:04 pm »

We can make them, sure, but the military screen lists PICKS as foreign.  ???

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 08:34:53 pm »

We can make them, sure, but the military screen lists PICKS as foreign.  ???
Well to be fare picks aren't really weapons though, they're tools for mining.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 09:36:23 pm »

Nothing really to add except that my fort also lacks High Boots.  And I would have given the same reason as already said, as well, so this post might be considered a waste of time.

(Unless it's somehow become even more likely to not have certain bits of armour, the same as with sparsity of metal ores.  I mean, I've got limonite coming out of my ears, and some platinum and I struck about four tiles of silver but that must have been a fluke.  Luckily I've got plenty of wood so I'm working on getting steel out of this .21 fort though charcoal rather than reliance upon non-existent seams of coal and variants thereof.)

tolkafox

• Bay Watcher
  • Capitalism, ho!
    • View Profile
    • Phantasm
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 09:42:36 pm »

I've had this happen to me thrice, all pre 31.18. Some people just have crap for luck.
It was a miracle of rare device, A sunny pleasure-dome with caves of ice!

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 06:33:32 am »

I've started checking for things like highboots on embark, if it isn't listed you can try another civilisation. Same thing for other items or materials you consider important (iron?).
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: [1] 2