Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rockettes  (Read 867 times)

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Rockettes
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:01:32 pm »

I was reading someone's anectdote recently about a soldier who lost both arms, but managed to rack up a sizeable kill list primarily through kicking, and felt somewhat inspired.

The Goal: Create a squad of 5-10 dwarves with no hands/arms that will crush sieges beneath their +Steel High Boot+.  Bonus points for having high skill in kicking.

The Problem: How do I get dwarves with no hands/arms without getting them killed? Put them in full armor, but with no gauntlets? Against axegobs?  Same armor situation but use cave-in dust to unconsciousify them on top of some weapon traps?

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rockettes
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:38:17 pm »

Leave their Hands/Arms unarmoured, give them bronze, steel, or cotton candy everywhere else.

send them to a danger room, they should take numerous hits to the unarmoured portions early on I believe.

synkell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:56 pm »

Having a skilled doctor is good too , plus soap. It wont do to have all your "cancan" dancers dying from infections!

Hurgal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 08:00:26 am »

I would think a danger room would be tough due to the lack of slashing weapons available for an upright spear trap.

Should I just leave out gauntlets, or should I take off their gauntlets and mail shirts?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 08:22:12 am »

How do you get dwarves with no arms?

Giant badgers.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:09 am »

I have such legendary handless dwarf but i think he cant put armor on after loosing hands (to stop message spam remove whatever isnt on him from his uniform). And he is more biting things then kicking :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 08:32:45 am »

I have such legendary handless dwarf but i think he cant put armor on after loosing hands (to stop message spam remove whatever isnt on him from his uniform). And he is more biting things then kicking :)

Legendary biters are the deadliest force known to dwarfkind; keep him alive!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 08:44:25 am »

1. Fully armour dwarves (except arms of course) in the best quality material available - preferably masterwork steel or cotton candy.

2. Construct room full of serrated disc traps nearby (copper or silver is probably best so as to reduce casualties).

3. Add cave-in generator

4. Station dwarves in disc room, activate cave-in. Dust stuns dwarves who fall into disc traps.

5. PROFIT!

I expect you will get a high casualty rate from this though, so it's probably best used on migrants rather than your legendary soldiers.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2011, 09:02:39 am »

I was doing some testing in Arena mode with 50 vs 50 dwarves with identical skills and equipment save one side getting regular chain shirts and the other side with the mail hauberks from Civilization Forge mod.  I don't think the UBSTEP:MAX protects the lower arms reliably because after all 100 dwarves were done hacking each other to bits (axes all) the sole survivor was a hauberk wearer missing both lower arms.  Combat reports show him kicking the last chain shirt wearer's skull through his brain.  He was rather skilled in Biting too by the end.

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 09:50:46 am »

According to recent forum topics, Giant badgers have a fondness for removing arms.

Just gotta stop 'em from bleeding to death first. Your 'armless soldiers I mean.

Good luck!
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 11:12:36 am »

NECROMORPH MODE

A living entity can be killed if and only if all four of its limbs are hacked off.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2011, 12:44:06 pm »

You might be able to create a reaction that produces a custom stone. A stone which evaporates at room temperature and who's fumes contain a syndrome that targets the arms. If you use necrosis your surgeon might even amputate them.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands