Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Guards, cast off your chains and be free!  (Read 817 times)

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
Guards, cast off your chains and be free!
« on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:54 am »

My usual modus operandi involves chaining a couple war dogs at the entrance to my fort to spot kobolds and ranged ambushers before they get to my dwarves.

It just hit me, though, that with the new pasture mechanics, I don't even have to chain them anymore, right? Just set up a small pasture at the same place and assign the guard animal! Which means, they are free to give chase or flee!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guards, cast off your chains and be free!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 09:05:45 am »

Yeah, no. Set up separate pastures or the dogs'll fight/kill each other. Otherwise, that should work.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:16:55 am »

Separate pastures are a given, since they shouldn't move around much from the position I want them in.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:25 am »

Okay then, that should work.
Dwarf Fortress:

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46:01 am »

It just hit me, though, that with the new pasture mechanics, I don't even have to chain them anymore, right? Just set up a small pasture at the same place and assign the guard animal! Which means, they are free to give chase or flee!

If the dog spots an ambush, it will run into your fort barking wildly. It will also immediately queue up an "Assign Animal to Pasture" job. A dwarf will stop the dog, say, "What's that, Lassie? Goblins in the hallway? Good doggie! Now let's get you back to your pasture!"

The dwarf, struggling to pull the dog back to the entrance, will then die to the crossbow bolts of the 4-5 invisible extra ambushes that were tailing the first one in.

Not saying it's an entirely bad idea. You just need to make sure you save the dog AND your dwarves, instead of accidentally trading the death of a random civilian dwarf for a dead dog.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:46:49 am »

Can't you turn off that labor? Animal Handling or what?

Edit: Couldn't you also just tell all non-military to stay the fuck in their rooms and tell the military not to bother with the dog?
Dwarf Fortress:

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 10:19:18 am »

Yes, alerts and sensibly crafted burrows linked to them will take care of any dwarf with herding ambitions (I basically make a burrow and alert combo that tell the dwarves to stay indoors or underground). The military shouldn't bother with the guard animals anyways, as they, too, will get alert states.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

Yes, alerts and sensibly crafted burrows linked to them will take care of any dwarf with herding ambitions (I basically make a burrow and alert combo that tell the dwarves to stay indoors or underground). The military shouldn't bother with the guard animals anyways, as they, too, will get alert states.
That raises another question, actually. How do we prevent raiders from wiping out the livestock?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 10:26:03 am »

Locked doors? Walls? Killing them?
Dwarf Fortress:

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 11:41:18 am »

That raises another question, actually. How do we prevent raiders from wiping out the livestock?

Wall the pasture with glass windows. To avoid building destroyers, put the pasture up a z-level on a pillar.

Don't know if you can designate a pasture on constructed tiles, though. I use Girlinhat's watchtower boxes rather than pastures.