Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What gave you more trouble?  (Read 2303 times)

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What gave you more trouble?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 04:48:26 am »

I actually learned of DF in school when I saw a friend watching Captain Ducks video on it, it seemed strange and interesting so I watched them at home, I learned there was going to be a new version soon so I waited for that, watching the videos.

When the time came, I was ready.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Bo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 09:28:50 pm »

I still haven't gotten more than 10 minutes into Adventure mode but have been playing Fortress mode happily for months now. With Captnducks vids and the wiki, Fortress mode took just a few hours to make sense and start having fun, though I admittedly learn something new every time I play, which is the main reason I like this game, it feels like you can never hit bottom.

I found Adventure mode's interface even more obtuse than Fortress mode. It seemed to be even more aimless to me as well, in terms of not even having any objective whatsoever, as opposed to needing at least basic essentials and having a vague idea of where to begin. I guess once I play some long-lived Fortresses that I really enjoy it will be fun to go see them and look around the world they existed in, but until then I think I'll stick with the more creative side of the game.

I never liked "adventuring" type video games before anyway, in all seriousness I never really liked video games at all, Dwarf Fortress is pretty much the only one I have ever played for longer than a few days.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »

I never had trouble with either, actually. Though my adventures tend to get stuck, and I'm forced to throw them of cliffs to end their misery.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 01:07:49 am »

This seems like a difficult question because the two modes are like two different types of games. I mean one is kind of like RTS, the other is turn based. In one you walk around and kill stuff, in the other it's resource management etc. It's like comparing a 1st person shooter to a RTS game or something.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 04:50:20 am »

Fortress mode still has 1,000 more requirements for success than adventure mode.

-Food/Booze/Pop Balance
-Optimization
-Unexpectedly difficult goblin sieges
-The 1,000s of different rules, like dwarven justice, different positions...
-Moods, syndromes, tantrum spirals

Yeah, Fortress mode requires far more learning to see the "end game." It only took me a couple games before I had an adventurer with 20 companions and was wandering literally to the edge of the world. It takes 5x as long to make it to 200 pop in DF, with all the trimmings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 [2]