Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What gave you more trouble?  (Read 2304 times)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
What gave you more trouble?
« on: March 21, 2011, 08:23:54 pm »

When you first started playing, which mode was tougher to learn and or briefly survive in for? Fortress Mode, or Adventurer Mode?

Personally, I can't play Adventure Mode for 3 hours without being brutally murdered, and I've even checked the wiki for help there. My Fort's are way more successful, sometimes lasting longer than a week.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What gave you more trouble?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 08:28:33 pm »

The only adventurer I played since I started playing did pretty well, and killed three titans and a dragon by himself.

The first fortress lasted until the first summer.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 08:37:01 pm »

In terms of difficulty, I found Adventure Mode brutal and fort mode easy.

In terms of trouble to learn, I found Fort Mode much harder.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:11:24 pm »

In terms of difficulty, I found Adventure Mode brutal and fort mode easy.

In terms of trouble to learn, I found Fort Mode much harder.

I'd have to go with this, though I knew how to play fortress mode pretty well by the time I first tried adventure mode.  I still died a lot, but I knew how to get started.  Plus, I read the adv. mode section of the wiki before starting, which was probably a bit cheaty.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 11:34:33 pm »

No way. I read the adventure mode section of the wiki, and I constantly die as I lived: Bleeding Profusely.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 11:42:19 pm »

No way. I read the adventure mode section of the wiki, and I constantly die as I lived: Bleeding Profusely.

Well yeah, I still died.  But I had the advantage of knowing that I had started in an inn, and that I needed to go downstairs and get a quest(this was in 40d) vs not being able to tell that I couldn't build a field because there was a rock in the way.  I started playing fort mode completely blind to what I was doing and how to do it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 11:44:02 pm »

Adventurer mode: As hard/easy to learn/play as most roguelikes. Not that bad, though expect to die when you make a mistake.

Fortress mode: Easy until something comes to kill you, then shit hits the fan, unless you bar yourself from the rest of the world. Quite difficult to learn.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Komus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:38:55 am »

I'm still running a .18 fort, whilst I await .22 Epic Crutch ActionTM. It's doing far too well, so I decided to try adventure. I lasted approximately 10 minutes. Here's a rough breakdown:

4 minutes: Creating my hero.
4 minutes: Chatting to NPCs.
1.5 minutes: Travelling SE
0.5 minutes: Being eaten by an alligator

I went with the head & wall technique in fort and enjoyed learning it one subtle nuance at a time. With adv, I think I may need to go the cheaty route too and actually read the entire wiki first.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:56:52 am »

Adventurer. I never even made it to my first quest.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 11:49:13 am »

Adventure mode is brutal but easy to learn, fort mode is less brutal but harder to learn,
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »

I've never actually tried adventure, I've smashed the keyboard repeatedly while my friend wasn't looking at the computer and ended up feeding the adventurer to some giant scorpions, but aside from that, I'm too busy micro-managing midgets with axes.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Saim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 10:52:33 pm »

I'm honestly going to say that Fortress mode is the mode for me. Adventure mode seems so fun, but I'm awful at it. For example, the last time I played I ran around for about 20min only able to find horses to fight/run after and then got bit in half by a croc that rushed out from behind a tree T_T

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 01:08:24 am »

Dwarf mode; having played other roguelike adventure games I fully expected to die within my first few days as an adventurer so every time it happened I'd laugh and roll another.

Demigod mode for life. That way you can skip the grind and get straight to being torn open by a saltwater crocodile.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:19:49 am by Rushmik »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2011, 01:13:28 am »

Fort, actually. Most of it was more studying the wiki and getting used to it, which was a hurdle of it's own.
Hello Hunam

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 01:19:58 am »

Fortress. I hated fortress at first because I thought it was broken. I was a natural at adventure.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: [1] 2