Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Misc. Religion Suggestions: Syncretism, Power Succession, and others...  (Read 2801 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Misc. Religion Suggestions: Syncretism, Power Succession, and others...
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2011, 03:49:50 pm »

BTW, Can you suggest a better way for me to word it on the first page?

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: To help the modders there could be an entity token that allows a civilization to ignore a designated religious sphere's preclusion or association/'friend' lists (which control which other spheres can be presided over by a deity with a given sphere) and/or a token to add preclusions or associations for a given sphere within a given entity.

The reason it took me a while to get it before was that I didn't recall off the top of my head that the tags for one sphere have to be punched into an entity raw, and that having one sphere will preclude its opposing sphere.  Hence, I wasn't sure what you were talking about when you said "preclusions".  It just takes reminding people of this in a clear way.

7.) Moddable Sphere Preclusions/Associations: Currently, assigning spheres to an entity will have all associated spheres open up to the entity, and bar opposing spheres to that entity's religions.  To help modders customize their cultures, additional token options that allow for absolute inclusion or exclusion of spheres in an entity's religion, regardless of associations, can be made available to modders.

Ok. I'm gonna use that revision.

Additionally, just thought of:

7b.) Required Sphere Combination: Additionally, perhaps an entity could be set to require that each of its civilizations to have at least one deity with a specific set combination of spheres defined in their raws.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lungfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2011, 11:05:00 am »

I like it, with the hope of challenging implications. Like a wave of migrants of a different, possible hostile religion, requiring that I essentially build a separate fortress on the same map in order to avoid fights breaking out constantly (unless I have a diplomatic dwarf with appropriately high consoler/negotiator/liar skills). I would also like an excuse for Dwarf on dwarf warfare.

I also like the madlib-ness of everything already and a procedurally generated religion like this would just add a fun layer of complexity. Some religious scholars or priests (or even the deities themselves, representing the known requirements for practicing the religion) could be listed on the nobles/administrators screen with mandates that are items or foods needed for rituals, needed at varying degrees of regularity, and leaving them unfulfilled could cause an unhappy thought in all the practitioners, only the most ardent worshipers, or just the religious leadership. There could also be taboos against some things the deities are said to dislike, like images of horses or the color yellow. A requirement for dwarven sacrifice would be ideal.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 11:27:19 am »

Concerning sacrifices to the gods, material goods probably should be recycled to a Noble clergyman, unless the Gods of Dwarf Fortress actually exist and consume those sacrifices.  Perhaps some cultures and religions would have genuine gods, avatars, and then mortals who hide away the loot for themselves or their religion, depending on personality.  Would be neat if some religions advocated giving to the poor, opted to invest in armies/industries, or other things...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2011, 02:29:01 pm »

The only real change that absolutely NEEDS to happen is that religions need to be able to be explicitly defined in the raws.  Think of it:

[CREATURE:ARMOK]
[PREFSTRING:catch phrase - "Strike The Earth!"]

Although I do like the ideas of religions shifting over time.  I could see a particularly zealous leader waging a holy war, taking over neighboring civs, and installing a new pantheon upon them.  Not everyone would like it tho, or buy into it.  This kind of goes along with another wish of mine: That Civs could END, utterly, from conquest, and that sometimes a splinter group could become a civ of their own.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:31:30 pm by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2011, 04:23:23 am »

Concerning sacrifices to the gods, material goods probably should be recycled to a Noble clergyman, unless the Gods of Dwarf Fortress actually exist and consume those sacrifices.  Perhaps some cultures and religions would have genuine gods, avatars, and then mortals who hide away the loot for themselves or their religion, depending on personality.  Would be neat if some religions advocated giving to the poor, opted to invest in armies/industries, or other things...

One thing that could happen is that the offerings could be gathered up and carted off special temples, or even the Supreme Temple. It would be another range of sites for the adventurer to visit (and/or loot). It might be one of the fortress's religious duties to regularly send food, booze, clothing, and other supplies to keep the priesthood from privation. Another could be to send dwarves away for religious training in order to come back as priests. It works sort of like that with barons already.

Another thing, too, is that different deities would want different things. Deities of Song and Flowers would like different offerings than those of Thralldom and Fate. There may well be a use for all those Goblin captives/corpses if the right God is in town. A less bloodthirsty one might want herbs, goblets, or wooden objects. There ought to be a way to connect the spheres to types and materials of items in order to make a list of acceptable sacrifices, though I don't really know what a God of Freedom or Rainbows would want.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?
Pages: 1 2 [3]