Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do I get Fallout 1 to run on my system?  (Read 9021 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get Fallout 1 to run on my system?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 01:36:38 am »

We're talking about a 1997 release game for DOS/Windows with the following requirements?

Pentium 90 MHz, 32 MB RAM, 2x CD-ROM, SVGA, SoundBlaster-compatible sound card.

Try DOSBox assuming you can install the DOS version and not the Win 95 version.

I definatly don't have the Dos version. Dosbox dosen't run it.

Is there Windows XP-box anywhere?
Produced by Microsoft themselves.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 01:37:14 am »

Just download the unofficial patch and the resolution/widescreen patch. You will probably be fine, especially since the psychedelic-colors issue is a common and fixable one.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 01:27:45 am »

I've found a fix for the problem you're talking about for Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, and I think Fallout 1.  The weird colors are caused by Windows Aero (under Vista and 7), which apparently plays hell with the 16-bit color setting, even if you have the appropriate compatibility boxes ticked.

Kill Windows Explorer (explorer.exe), run the affected game, and restart Explorer after you quit.  It's best if you use a batch file that does this automatically.

The batch file will read something like this:
Code: [Select]
taskkill /F /IM Explorer.exe
[path to game exe]
Start explorer.exe

I've had decent results with most games that are trying to run either 640x480 or 16-bit color.  Best of luck!

KG

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »

I've never had problems getting Fallout 1 or 2 to run on any of my Windows systems, but I did occassionally get an extremely frustrating black screen during play at times, which could be cleared by 'refreshing' the pixels there (either by changing the scene or moving the mouse through them).
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 02:17:59 pm »

These older directdraw based games have a lot of issues with current windows. I struggled to get Planescape: Torment running properly under win7, I ended up installing it under a winXP virtualbox where it runs great.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 08:42:25 pm »

I've found a fix for the problem you're talking about for Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, and I think Fallout 1.

The solution here is to get the resolution patch and apply it. You don't need to mess around with virtual machines or anything else.

Get the unofficial patch, get the resolution patch, apply them, and configure them. I'm almost dead certain the resolution patcher has different color modes you can choose.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 09:38:28 pm »

I've found a fix for the problem you're talking about for Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, and I think Fallout 1.

The solution here is to get the resolution patch and apply it. You don't need to mess around with virtual machines or anything else.

Clearly you didn't read my post; it had nothing to with virtual machines.  I simply posted what is a fix for many older games, hardly the be-all end all.  I thought this was an open forum for discussion?

KG

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:44:21 pm »

The other posters probably have it covered, so my only idea probably doesn't help you at all. Just to get it out though, it works great under WINE on linux.

If you're still having problems and just NEED to play it, download WUBI, install Ubuntu as if it were a program in windows, install WINE, and then install the game through that. It's a roundabout way of doing things, but it should work if their suggestions don't.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...
Pages: 1 [2]