Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: X2: The Threat  (Read 1189 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
X2: The Threat
« on: June 26, 2011, 09:52:29 pm »

This game's been out since about 2001(?) and It's friggin' amazing.

It a space sim where you control your own ship, buy stations, fight pirates (Or be one yourself trading illegal goods, and fighting police officers. Literally.)

There are 6 different empires, spanding out over a vast 120+ sectors with 2 very hostle races that will attack anything no matter how strong it is and some sectors controlled by pirates.

I don't remember exactly how many ship models are out there, but there are if I remember right, 7 different types of ships, ranging from the small scout M5, the corvette carrier M6(Which even though by the name 'Corvette', they aren't fast and con hold only one M5), to the all-powerful M2 and the carrier-class M1.

With many types of weapons and missles, there's always different strategies on where to put what cannons or lasers for which ships. I mean, you can't just go around and put a friggin' large cannon which can nearly 2-shot an M3 heavy fighter onto an M5, right? (Actually, to make it more clear, you can't even put any large cannons on an M5.)

My review for this game is a 10 out of 10. Very good game all around.

Pros:
Each race have unique ship designs for each type.
Own the Competition: No limit to how many stations you can place into one sector. You can even control the galactic market with enough factories.
Reputation system: Help an empire or fight againest them. It's your call.
Play in first or 3rd person. Even switch to the camera of whatever your targeting.
AI ships learn your tactics.
Different mods you can put in which can add races, ships, ship types, and more.

Cons:
Territory doesn't change as you destroy another empire's ships and factories in the same sector.
You can't choose your race when you start.
Storyline gets boring after a while until it begins to pick up at the end.
Money is hard to come by at the beginning, but there is a quick to get money on the second mission.

EDIT: Grammar fixes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:10:11 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: X2: The Threat
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:10:43 pm »

Bump. Had to do some grammar fixes. Please tell me if you see a grammar error.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 10:17:23 pm »

You prefer this game over X3: Terran Conflict?
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 10:32:34 pm »

Although I've never played X3 myself, I heard it got some bad reviews.

If I am wrong, then I am one sorry motherfucker son of a bitch for missing it out all these years.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:36:45 pm by hitty40 »

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:59 pm »

To your judgment, how good do you think X3 is?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 11:40:51 pm »

In my own personal opinion X3: Terrain conflict is one of the best space based games I've ever played. I enjoy the setting, the interface, the controls, the overall feel of combat and trading, everything.

Had it for less than a week and got over 50 hours in it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:45 am »

Yeah, If you like X2, then you are also in the set of people who like X3. It only gets better. Plus the Mod scene is larger.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 10:12:35 am »

Jesus fucking christ, then I am one sorry son of a bitch.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 11:13:24 am »

Not really, nothing wrong with X2.

It has cockpits & bridges :P
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 07:33:24 pm »

then I am one sorry motherfucker son of a bitch for missing it out all these years.

sorry, but you said it yourself :p

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 11:02:15 pm »

Not really, nothing wrong with X2.

It has cockpits & bridges :P

Merely drapery which was added back in with mods in X3.