Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Maximizing Limb Loss  (Read 1475 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Maximizing Limb Loss
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:25:05 am »

I know that axes increase the chances of lopping off limbs, but is there any good way to remove more limbs?  There's no way to order troops to go limb-cutting...

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maximizing Limb Loss
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:28:43 am »

I've heard a 50 Z-level drop does wonders in that department, but I have never tried it personally.
Memento Mori

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:31:55 am »

20-z does as well. However I recommend 50 just because  :)
Though both of them will kill the previous owner of said limbs (just as your soldiers though). You could also try serrated disks, they give victim a chance, but they also have only a chance to lop limb.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:35:12 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Armoks Haste

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:53:53 am »

If I remember correctly, you can butcher the limbs of sentient beings if the dismemberment occurred before the death of the unfortunate sentient.

You want to sell ☼Lavish Elven Merchant Left Leg Meal☼ to next years caravan before hunting them for sport with ☼Elven Merchant Bone Crossbow Bolt☼, don't you?

You're sick.
I'm proud.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:55:34 am »

Incidental question: Are there any creatures that can regenerate in DF yet?
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 11:57:10 am »

Actually, I just modded [ETHICS_BUTCHER_SAPIENTS:ACCEPTABLE] and now my guys butcher anything except my own dwarves and pets.  I'm currently training up a bowyer to make ☼Elf Bone Crossbow☼ for my archer squad, who will be clad entirely in ☼Elf Leather Armor☼ and ☼Elf Leather Cloak☼

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 02:03:49 pm »

You give necron flayers a good run for their money. Wearing the skin AND using their body parts as a weapon?!?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:35 pm »

This should be built into the game.  :D

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 08:43:46 am »

20-z does as well. However I recommend 50 just because  :)
Though both of them will kill the previous owner of said limbs (just as your soldiers though). You could also try serrated disks, they give victim a chance, but they also have only a chance to lop limb.

Thats why you place the serrated disk traps on a precarious bridge over a 50 z lvl drop. And I've done it to numerous animals, it works rather well. I've only done 20 or 30 levels though but it worked just fine for me. I count goblin as an animal by the way.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Vastin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 01:52:45 pm »

Playing in adventure mode suggests that battle-axes and swords are both pretty good de-limbing tools.

However, surprisingly enough picks turn out to be REALLY good de-limbing weapons, at least against mid-small foes such as goblins. Quite good weapons overall too, as they aren't as easy to mitigate with armor as the axes and swords are. Best yet, your mining skill seems to be used as the primary weapon skill, though I'm not certain to what degree this carries over between adventure mode and dwarf mode.

Bad weapons for de-limbing are any blunt weapon (which includes whips), and most pointy weapons such as spears and pikes - those can sometimes remove very thin extremities such as hands, but not much else.

One weapon with stats suggesting decent de-limbing potential are Scourges - but I've never really had an opportunity to test them, so I can't say with any certainty. I'm not sure if they have enough penetration depth.

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 02:49:06 pm »

20-z does as well. However I recommend 50 just because. 

To quote a bomb squad technician I once knew, "too much is juuuuust about right."
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

20-z does as well. However I recommend 50 just because. 

To quote a bomb squad technician I once knew, "too much is juuuuust about right."
What happened to him?