Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cannot Build at Highest Level  (Read 1140 times)

Samrobot

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill it! Burn it! Just make sure it's dead!
    • View Profile
Re: Cannot Build at Highest Level
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 12:10:39 am »

What happens if someone moves their whole fort the the sky and then collapses the rest of the map onto hell if their computer doesn't immediately say fuck you and explodes?
Dwarf Fortress: we take assisted suicide of minors very seriously!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:30:45 am »

Well, that's impossible.  They can certainly dump the world into SMR, but that's about it :P

On the other hand, I now know how this fort will die.  [SPEED:0] and the biggest brick drop ever!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 01:10:19 am »

Upon further reflection, I realized that your computer would speed up immensely by doing this.  After all, that meddlesome stone would suddenly disappear into the abyss of SMR, removing a whole slew of items to keep track of!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 01:20:32 am »

Just tested, you CAN build a support on the topmost level, and have it hang something from it. 

odd, the test fort i'm running just to check the feasability of this doesn't quite work that way, i can hang supports with floors under them from the top, and more supports with floors under them underneath that, but i can't get anything else to stick not floors, walls stairs, ramps or anything..
currently churning out nickel pipes, iron corkscrews and olivine blocks for a 32 level tall magma pupmstack to test what obsidian will do glued up there.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 01:28:56 am »

I've just realized that my medical ward will freeze over, given that its well is in the form of an above-ground (8 levels above, in fact) reservoir.  Considering this, I'm preparing to fill the floor directly under this with magma.  I will, at this point, have an easy supply of water and magma a few levels above the surface.  It will be time to test the obsidian cannon's affect on the sky's ceiling, as well as resurfacing the entire world and/or simply flooding it.

I'm personally going with clear glass on all parts, screw, pipe, and block.  A 7x7 set of windmills, -1 for stairway for 48 windmills total, provides enough power, counting gears, for 62 levels of pumping power.  Gonna need to add a few booster windmills to reach the magma sea, but no amazing engineering challenge by any means.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 01:38:22 am »

heh, i don't have glass but i embarked with a volcano on the surface, the engineering challenge is mostly with just being bothered making all the designations.
also i'm not bothering with windmills, just screw pumps with a 3x3 reservoir. I'll just use dorf power to get it up there 10 should do just alternate the pumping till it reaches the top level.
oh, and a bucket should suffice to get the water where it's needed.... *cancels construction on the other 32 pipes/screws for the water pumps*facepalm*
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 01:44:10 am »

To save you some testing, a tile of obsidian created at the topmost level will indeed be 'stuck' to the sky. I've done this before.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 06:28:21 am »

... i should have just used DFhack :P *facepasm*

Edit: df hack seems to work well for spawning obsidian up there, but a cavein killed my miner :(
Edit2: the obsidian is glued but i can't seem to attach floor to it, also a cavein killed my carpenter
Edit3: I can glue more obsidian below the obsidian, but nothing else can be attached to it.... also caveins killed my expedition leader, chief medical dwarf, blacksmith, and cheese maker :(
Edit4: If i dig out the obsidian it collapses, despite there being obsidian under, above, and all around it =(
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:10:05 am by MarcAFK »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 07:13:25 pm »

Why not channel out the ground underneath your tower all the way down to the magma sea, somehow incorporating areas of the caverns in the process?  I don't think anyone has done that in my memory...
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: 1 [2]