Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fix steel recipe  (Read 520 times)

penco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fix steel recipe
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:18:58 pm »

Please remove the coke ingredient for creating pig iron and steel. All it does is gimp players who don't use magma forges. For a player with a magma forge, that coke is so common and useless that the cost is negligible. For regular forges, the coke is so precious that using so much to make steel is just prohibitive.

Suggestions:

1) Remove coke ingredient from pig iron/steel.

OR

2) Allow smelting of pig iron directly from iron ore by placing in 2 iron and 1 coke. This has a net effect of saving 2 fuel for the regular forge user and making no difference to the magma furnace user.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Fix steel recipe
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 06:34:31 pm »

And Max White decended from the mountain, with a cup of tea in one hand, and a stone tablet in the other. And with a load voice, he said to the suggestions forum.
'I have spoken with the modders! I know of there ways and power! But I also know of how willing they are to help... So, let it be known that thou shall ask the modders for what the modders can do, and ask Toady for what only the great toad can do!'
And the suggestions forum ignored him.

So yea, if you head over to the modders forum, they will fix you up in no time.

Stove

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:10:28 pm »

Steel is a very useful and high-value metal. You need to earn it!
Also, coke/charcoal isn't that hard to come by.
If you didn't know, you can use charcoal, made from wood, to make steel.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:17:54 pm »

Magma forges make every other kind of metal practically free, and even if you don't have much wood, almost any map with flux on it will also have coal.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Artzbacher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 08:18:25 pm »

If anything, I'd like for steel to be harder to make. And for the blue stuff to be scarcer (sic?) and much less powerful.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 10:36:28 pm »

^clowns dont entertain themselves

i would rather have a make steel option when you have all the ingredients (flux, iron ore, and charcoal) so they can make iron into pig iron and then into steel instead of having to calculate all of that crap.
LOSING IS FUN!