Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pre-Roman Games  (Read 1517 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Roman Games
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 03:16:23 pm »

Nethergate: Resurrection

It's set in the British Isles during the Roman Conquest. You have the choice of playing a party of celtic tribesmen with magic, or roman soldiers with technology. The two sides have different storylines and also differing play styles because technology (high-end weapons and armor) interferes with magic. The Celts get healing magic, barbarian rage and various spells while the Romans have to rely upon skill.

Because the two factions are diametrically opposed (and at war with each other), you also get two different endings if you want to play through the game twice. :D Yay replay value.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 03:26:32 pm »

That looks quite epic.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 05:04:33 pm »

Children of the nile is surprisingly good, when I first saw it I thought it was a kids game. It is infact a more realistic 'Pharoah' type of game. Highly recommend it.
The interesting thing about that game is that it won't kill you for making mistakes, but it'll surely prevent your town from growing if you don't look after it. I don't think I've ever really lost it (as opposed to Pharaoh, where big cities have a tendency to collapse if you make mistakes), but if your city structure is messed up you're going to have to do some mayor restructuring and you'll have to wait a long time for new workers to be born...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2011, 03:40:26 am »

Children of the nile is surprisingly good, when I first saw it I thought it was a kids game. It is infact a more realistic 'Pharoah' type of game. Highly recommend it.
The interesting thing about that game is that it won't kill you for making mistakes, but it'll surely prevent your town from growing if you don't look after it. I don't think I've ever really lost it (as opposed to Pharaoh, where big cities have a tendency to collapse if you make mistakes), but if your city structure is messed up you're going to have to do some mayor restructuring and you'll have to wait a long time for new workers to be born...
Definitely recommend this one, one of my favorite city building games ever.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 04:10:46 am »

I've played Pharaoh/Cleopatra Zeus/Atlantis Three kingdoms and the Caesar series to death.

It's a shame they don't make games like THAT anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]