Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buckets all over the place  (Read 1481 times)

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buckets all over the place
« on: January 20, 2011, 10:55:33 am »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I noticed that my dwarves like to leave buckets around the fort. It doesn't seem to have any negative effect but it makes the place look messy.

Anyone else have this problem?

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buckets all over the place
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:59:53 am »

Do you have a furniture Stockpile? Or check with k over the buckets if they are forbiden, if yes (r)eclaim them (or if they are set to be (d)umped, if you dont have a garbage dump they probably leave it where it is)
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Haruspex_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 11:02:01 am »

A have furniture stockpiles with empty slots. Checking again, it seems that all the abandoned buckets have stagnant water in them. Is there any way to get rid of this?

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:06:16 am »

How scandalous!

But seriously, probably the furniture stockpile thing. Dwarfs seem to forget about whatever tool they were using as soon as the job is done, so they just sorta leave buckets everywhere after they finish feeding a patient or milking a camel or something.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 11:36:23 am »

The buckets won't go in the furniture stockpile because they aren't empty.  There doesn't seem to be a stockpile option for buckets half-full of stagnant water, so they get left lying around everywhere.

Having a dairy operation helps in this case, as dwarves will grab buckets with water in them and dump out the water before using the bucket to transfer milk.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RedWick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 11:51:59 am »

Stagnant water is classified as food, and buckets with stagnant water will end up in your food stockpiles.  If you see a bucket lying around, look at it, then zoom in to look at the water itself.  You can designate the water for dumping.  It seems to work for me.

Coaldiamond

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:06:00 pm »

I've heard that you can force the dwarves to dump any material out of a bucket by ordering said buckets to be brought to the Trade Depot.

Caiburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 10:59:00 am »

These buckets are "created" when you e.g. remove a pit zone while a bucket assigned to the "fill pit" job is currently full. The dwarf in question will drop the bucket to the ground, including it's contents, and noone will ever use it again (it seems to me) until they are emptied.

I currently put a furniture/buckets-only stockpile close to my pits when doing the bucket brigade thing. Urist will drop the water in the pit, put the bucket on the stockpile and walk away (unless a new job insta-generates). I then forbid the empty, stockpiled bucket until all buckets are locked in the stockpile. Then I remove the pit zones and afterwards unforbid the buckets, remove the stockpile.
Quote from: Abyss
Dwarf Fortress is the Crysis of the ASCII world.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 12:28:55 pm »

I leave bucket stockpiles near water sources.  Most of my stray buckets are due to fill pond jobs for various things, they're never half full of water.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

Make a pond zone and order it to be filled. Ensure that it can never actually be filled, so the water will evaporate or drain off map or be atom smashed. You only need 1 pond zone.

All partially full buckets will be picked up, topped off, and dumped into the pond zone. Then the now empty buckets will be returned to the furniture stockpile. You can set this up and forget about it and buckets will be automatically taken care of for the rest of the fortress.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 02:48:55 am »

someone kind of said it, but I'll elaborate:

If you have a dairy, forbid all "properly" placed buckets that are already in your stockpile, and set milking on repeat. Milkers will use the scattered buckets, and dump out the water from them.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.