Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Lovecraft Challenge! Which one will you try?  (Read 2670 times)

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
Re: The Lovecraft Challenge! Which one will you try?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 09:13:56 am »

Erm... R'lyeh isn't technically possible because of the Non-euclidian geometry...

Because DF uses euclidian geometry? Yeah, right.
If you do things like disabling cave-ins and using ramps at strange locations, it should sure look non-euclidian.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 10:28:43 am »

No mention of Sarnath?

EDIT: Rl'yeh, here I come. (or is it R'lyeh? I have no clue where the apostrophe is, but I'll look it up later)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 12:42:02 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »

- This fort is meant to be an embodiment of a place that simply should not be. The geometry is wrong, and the layout is alien.
This describes a fair number of forts already, with massive structures supported by spindly columns of rock, cities carved into stalactites, rooms designed specifically to kill those inside it, and large, purposeless monuments to nothing scattered around the landscape...
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 01:43:57 pm »

A prominent feature of my Rl'yeh will be a statue of Cthulhu cast in obsidian. The rest of the city will be green glass, with a mix of above- and underground structures, and the occasional magma river for decoration. Also, all hallways will be at least two tiles wide, and all open spaces (including rooms and hallways) will be at least two z-levels high.

EDIT: Genned the world. One type of HFS, "demons of brine." Seems fitting.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 02:59:28 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »

I just realized that we are the Great Old Ones.

We command dwarves to build all sorts of things sometimes/often for no reason they could discern. Modders alter the dwarves' world in strange and sometimes freakish or unpredictable ways -- duplicating raws, anyone? Hell, we rename dwarves, ascribe personalities to them, and write stories about them which are at best an interpretation of their actions and often created from whole cloth. They have no idea what's going on.

Adventure Mode is the spontaneous creation of a person who is then immediately possessed by unknown forces and compelled to do hazardous, crazy things.

None of the ingame gods really exist in the dwarves' worlds; the true gods of their worlds are us -- unknowable, abstract, capricious beings -- and we use them as playthings.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 03:19:05 pm »

I like the way you think, Deadly Lamarr.

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 03:34:35 pm »

We command dwarves to build all sorts of things sometimes/often for no reason they could discern. Modders alter the dwarves' world in strange and sometimes freakish or unpredictable ways -- duplicating raws, anyone? Hell, we rename dwarves, ascribe personalities to them, and write stories about them which are at best an interpretation of their actions and often created from whole cloth. They have no idea what's going on.

Adventure Mode is the spontaneous creation of a person who is then immediately possessed by unknown forces and compelled to do hazardous, crazy things.

None of the ingame gods really exist in the dwarves' worlds; the true gods of their worlds are us -- unknowable, abstract, capricious beings -- and we use them as playthings.

Yeah, I reflected the same a while ago: Armok, God of Blood, is not an in-game entity because for all practical purposes, the DF player is the God of Blood as far as the dwarves are concerned
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 03:41:37 pm »

I think our control is too precise.
"There dark one is influencing my toughts... he wants... he wants us to... to... craft 7 leather quivers, 2 rope reed socks and set booze on repeat. Also, he wants Urist McSoldier to stand right there."
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 03:50:16 pm »

Well, I have embarked. I was lucky - I found a small swampy island a good distance from the coast.

Deadly Lamarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2011, 08:09:46 pm »

@Indricotherium:

I appreciate your appreciation :D

Yeah, I reflected the same a while ago: Armok, God of Blood, is not an in-game entity because for all practical purposes, the DF player is the God of Blood as far as the dwarves are concerned

It's kind of strange that no one seems to worship him/her/it, like a secret god. Except when it's RP'd, of course. I guess those who speak of Armok in hushed tones would be the ones who are closest to understanding the truth.

Maybe the closest thing to true worshipers of Armok are insane dwarves.

I think our control is too precise.
"There dark one is influencing my toughts... he wants... he wants us to... to... craft 7 leather quivers, 2 rope reed socks and set booze on repeat. Also, he wants Urist McSoldier to stand right there."

I imagine that either the dwarf giving out the orders or the dwarf acting thinks it's his/her original idea. Maybe the Manager, or whomever, is aware that something is giving out orders and is our prophet in the fortress.

I also imagine that when worldgen stops, everything in the world suddenly becomes apprehensive like Cthulhu is rising. That's why history doesn't continue outside of our interactions with the world: it's the end of days.
Sometimes you succeed in your goals and sometimes you and everyone around you is murdered by a gigantic spider.

C'est la vie

I'm walking crawling across the continent looking for a crutch. Story shortened, horse ate my foot.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

Okay, so I found a good reference image for my statue, which (for reasons which will become obvious when you see the image) will be embedded in/rising out of one of the towers of the city:

Spoiler: Warning, very large (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 [2]