Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Lovecraft Challenge! Which one will you try?  (Read 2671 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Lovecraft Challenge! Which one will you try?
« on: January 17, 2011, 08:13:19 am »

So I'm a big fan of H.P. Lovecraft, a really important horror writer from the 20s-30s. After my most recent re-reading kick, I decided to try to outline a few ideas for "lovecraftian" fortresses. I haven't (yet) implemented any of these ideas, but I figured I'd put them out here for feedback, as well as for additional ideas or even to inspire fellow Lovecraft fans. If you plan on reading the stories but haven't, the following may include spoilers...

Exham Priory from "The Rats in the Walls" (pretty simple)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Innsmouth from "The shadow over Innsmouth" (a bit tough, but doable)

R'lyeh from "The Call of Cthulhu" (megaproject!)

Other ideas I had but haven't fleshed out yet: The City of the Elder Things (build a fort that covers a mountain range!), and Arkam (an above-ground fort with lots of weird crypts, temples, and other "forbidden" type goodies)
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lovecraft Challenge! Which one will you try?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 08:23:55 am »

I love these ideas, especially the Innsmouth one - I think I might do that when I'm done with my current fort.

As for R'lyeh, aren't all dwarf fortresses nightmares of non-Euclidean geometry anyway? :D On a serious note, obsidian casting/carving would definitely be the way to go for that one, especially if the whole thing was then engraved all over with nightmarish images of horror. You'd have to bring that one through a tantrum spiral a couple of times to get the right sort of material. Sounds fun.
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 10:33:50 am »

As for Issmouth(sp), you can also mod dwarfs to have a slightly fish appearance if you wish, to complete the feeling of the place. As for Ry'legh(sp), you can mod forgotten beatsts to be trainable, and have them live there, with your dwarf population out of sight, or alternatively, just do it the old fashion way, and trap them (spider webs, or cave ins atop traps).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:41 am »

Bonus points for Forgotten beasts or clowns lurking in your cellar!

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 12:35:37 pm »

I just started reading H. P. Lovecraft a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately I haven't gotten to any of those three yet so I have no real advice. 

As long as your fortress ends in an insanity/tantrum spiral its all good.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:09 pm »

As for Issmouth(sp), you can also mod dwarfs to have a slightly fish appearance if you wish, to complete the feeling of the place. As for Ry'legh(sp), you can mod forgotten beaststo be trainable, and have them live there, with your dwarf population out of sight, or alternatively, just do it the old fashion way, and trap them (spider webs, or cave ins atop traps).
Or mod your civilization to be forgotten beasts.  I'm just saying...

Also, Fixed.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:07:35 pm »

Mountains of Madness. Vast "cyclopean" towers and sprawling cities buried in ice on a glacial embark. Huge cavern cities filled with gruesome engravings and caveblobs. Which would probably the closest thing to a Shoggot you can get. Bonus if you can mod your civilization to be caveblobs or some sort of Elder Ones.

Towers ought to be built of a dark or black type of stone.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:14:10 pm »

I started to build the underwater city of Wharrgarbl once. The idea was to exploit the freezing-thawing cycles of lakes to dig through the ice and build the necessary structures. Once finished (never got to that phase) the nobles and important people would move down there, and the town in the surface would produce luxure foods and items for the people underneath (which would be supplied by dumping them over a hatch and hope they did not miss).

I switched versions before that was even close to being done, though. And the dethawing of the lake froze my computer for 15 minutes once every in-game year. :/
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nowanmai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 03:27:43 pm »

Mountains of Madness. Vast "cyclopean" towers and sprawling cities buried in ice on a glacial embark. Huge cavern cities filled with gruesome engravings and caveblobs. Which would probably the closest thing to a Shoggot you can get. Bonus if you can mod your civilization to be caveblobs or some sort of Elder Ones.

This. At The Mountains of Madness is one of my favorites.

"Now, now.. where is that Call Of C'thulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth disc?" /runs away blabbering and laughing maniacally..

edit: "Where the urist is the disc?" Seriously, though, that game has THE most atmospheric adaptation. And I can't find the disc, dammit! Oh, well, will have to keep searching. Fish's post really made me want to play it again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:32:35 pm by nowanmai »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 04:38:46 pm »

How about Dunwich--friendly town, nice dwarves, all above ground, maintain no military (and wall everyone off from the goblins) but keep a large warehouse on the side (bonus points if it is a modified night creature den), separate from main compound .  Keep something in it-- a giant, or a dragon (bonus points for a webbed, trapped FB/ or night creature)--and force two dwarves to live around it as keepers/ "parents". Eventually, the keepers will die from something or other, release the child onto the general populace.

For that matter--a simple Cthulhu cult would be a nice project--large statue of Cthulhu carved into at least two layers of the caverns (bonus points for using an aquatic/submerged level), mandatory sacrifice each season--min. 10 strangers.or 1 dwarf must die to appease the Elder Gods, everyone in cult is armed to the teeth and backed by hideous tame animals from the caverns below, above ground a perfectly friendly trading outpost.  Sounds like my next fortress is planned.

More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »

"The Shadow Over Innsmouth" is probably my favorite Lovecraft story.  They made a movie of it called "Dagon" which was pretty crazy.

This. At The Mountains of Madness is one of my favorites.

"Now, now.. where is that Call Of C'thulhu: Dark Corners of The Earth disc?" /runs away blabbering and laughing maniacally..

edit: "Where the urist is the disc?" Seriously, though, that game has THE most atmospheric adaptation. And I can't find the disc, dammit! Oh, well, will have to keep searching. Fish's post really made me want to play it again.

Dark Corners of the Earth is a messed up game!  I was kinda disturbed about what happens to that little girl! :o Also, that game is available from Steam.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 11:04:55 pm »

It seems to me that Innsmouth and the Priory should, in fact, be human forts.

Follow me here: design emphasis tends to go to the secrecy of the, uh, spooky stuff. Especially in the case of Exham, where it's a house with cannibal people down below. Now say you're a trading caravan coming to do business with some new settlement you've recently heard about. You show up and find an above-ground site, pleasant as can be. And then you see the residents. If they're human, whatever. Those guys always have their huts and shit. Dorfs though? Why, those raging boozehounds always tunnel! This isn't right! What kind of twisted nuthouse have you stumbled into!?

Of course, I'm not sure how well the humies fare in subterranean conditions. Is there any reason why packing a bunch of humans underground would result in failure? Is it easy enough to fix?
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:25:03 am »

To do full justice to that story, I believe it would require multiple embarks just to carve it all out and build it up, and then perhaps one final enormous embark to populate the resultant stricture. The City of the Elder Things (is it the plateau of leng?) was supposed to encompass an entire range of mountains that rivaled the Himalayas for height - to assume that a mere 6x6 embark could even approach it for sheer size, let alone potential population.

And as far as R'lyeh goes, I was imagining something along the lines of Flarechannel, but evil.
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

linchowlewy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:56:35 am »

Erm... R'lyeh isn't technically possible because of the Non-euclidian geometry...

Rats in the walls sounds fun though :D one of my favourite stories by him too.

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2011, 06:00:49 am »

Erm... R'lyeh isn't technically possible because of the Non-euclidian geometry...

Because DF uses euclidian geometry? Yeah, right.
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
Pages: [1] 2