Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!  (Read 17395 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress (It's Alive!)
« Reply #165 on: January 26, 2011, 06:45:02 pm »

[Mr. Burns voice]
Eeeeexclent.
[/Mr. Burns voice]

Sorry you're feeling so bad, but I'm glad to see the updates coming along!  I think I'm finally ready to take another turn myself on this.  I think my project will be a dwarfish eugenics program, assuming I can get any of these bastards to touch each other and breed.

Spots after that are open, so let me know if you want a turn, especially if we skipped you earlier!
At last, she is done.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whiskeybridle: An OCD Succession Fortress, so crazy it just might work!
« Reply #166 on: January 26, 2011, 07:16:51 pm »

Early Timber
Hatchcover installation proceeds apace! 11 stories worth of stairs are now tastefully covered in hatchcovers.  I feel quiet contentment whenever I contemplate this fact. However, not all of my projects are proceeding so satisfactorily. My statue placement initiative has stalled. I am having trouble matching the color of the entry hallway walls in the floor of empty bedrooms, because of insufficiently micro stone micromanagement. Perhaps I will complete it next year! It will be something to look forward to.

My work on encouraging relationships proceeds apace. I have at least succeeded in enforcing a great deal of idleness:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some dwarves are getting the message better than others.

My animal breeding program has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. They began producing pups and foals a few months ago, and have not stopped since. I am simply amazed.
I have been encouraging my dwarves to interact with the animals, as a stepping stone to engaging with each other. My attempt to create joy in these strangely dog-less lives has had a small success:
I had no expectation that any of the Orderfun afflicted dwarves would welcome the chaos a pet brings into their lives. But I was wrong! Amost Erithodgub apparently felt the trade was fair. I hope this is a sign that Amost, at least, is open to a more permanent and fruitfully dwarven relationship. Only time will tell.

Winter is nearly upon us, but the weather does not seem to be changing. Curious, but fortuitous, as it allows us to continue food production. I must admit that there seems to be a great many edible plants in the fort. I was required to turn half of the refuse pile into open-air food storage, to prevent the uncouth sight of decaying plants in the fields. I am contemplating forbidding all farmers from planting, since we have sufficient supplies for several years at the current rate of consumption.

My dwarves have also picked up the habit of discarding clothing and armor at seemingly random locations in the fort, including in the dining room, as in this example:
It may be because they are damaged or dirty, like this bloody shoe:

I am at my wits end as to how to prevent these unsightly and disgusting exhibitions of carelessness. Has my attempt to encourage a looser and more interactive type of life backfired? I sincerely hope not, but it is hard to tell when I am limited to interacting with my dwarves through dreams, scrying and unexplainable urges.

I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 26, 2011, 08:08:28 pm »

Why is there GARBAGE on the floor!?!!
Get it OFF before it TRIPS someone!!

((My guy's a little concerned about the piles of clothing.))

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 27, 2011, 02:28:03 am »

>Lazy Newb Pa...
This makes me sad.

But nice update overall :)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 27, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

Late Opal
I have finished directing the statue placement for the top of the tower, and have managed to create mirroring on the north half of the bedroom floor.  I fear that this is a project that will require some serious thought as to mining and stone management, due to the need for statues of different colors.

I have finished construction of the dyer’s workshop, which had been left in an unsightly half-constructed state.

Socializing continues apace, but no visible results yet. Truly, for this entire month there has been nothing of interest. Except for new animals births. I am hoping that the example set by the lower orders of life will inspire the inhabitants of Whiskeybridle to engage in dwarvish reproduction, however disruptive it might be.

20 Obsidian
It appears that I spoke too soon. Thol, one of the many forgotten beasts besieging our lower levels, announced its apperance by destroying several hatchcovers. It has appeared on a floor between the magma smelters and the rest of the fort. It has so far destroyed several hatch covers. I have strongly impressed the dwarves with the desire to remain in the top regions of the fort. I do not know how it got inside. I do not know how it got inside! Perhaps through the adamantine excavation area. I must close this entry and have a calming drink. My poor hatchcovers!

From Axeawe Ugogish
To Uncle Ugogish

Re: Alleyes, I suppose you’re right. I’ll find something else to distract the twit with when spring rolls around. Don’t think I’m just going to take over all of Aunt’s outposts! I’ve got enough cousins to fill my military, I’m sure some of them will want a managerial position.

Hopefully, we can find someone who's obsessed with dealing with forgotten beasts to take the next turn.  Also, random questions: On several relationship views, different names are flashing/blinking. As far as I can tell the names all belong to people of the opposite gender from the person whose screen I'm looking at, so does this indicate romantic interest?  Also, why are different names in different colors?

Well, Oglokoog, it makes me sad when I hear that people are playing with the vanilla interface, so I guess we're even. I don't go around making remarks about it, though.

The worst part of the clothes from my narrator's perspective is that some of them are actually on stairs, making it really easy to trip someone with them. Your dwarf is probably freaking, Argonnek.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 27, 2011, 03:55:22 pm »

Oh noes, we definately don't have the military to fight of a FB.  If you partition it off from our juicy, juicy dwarfs I'll see if I can concoct some way to lure it into a cave-in/magma trap.
At last, she is done.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 27, 2011, 04:05:39 pm »

24th Obsidian
Thol has destroyed a Magma Smelter. The worst part of this situation is that we have no defenses. Our main staircase rises directly to the top of the tower! I must recruit a military.  I have also made the dwarves forget that anything on the metalworking level exists. I feel this was a ethical use of this power, and am prepared to defend it before the temple’s inquiry committee.

25th Obisidian
Thol continues to rampage on our metalworking level. I am contemplating changing its official designation to @#!$%@!#$%@$% Thol!
 I have attempted to encourage all dwarves to join the military and directed them to gather and wear whatever armor and weapons we may have. Hopefully, our hatch covers will give us some warning before Thol appears in our midst. I must create a barracks room, and perhaps summon all dwarves and animals to the side floor I noticed earlier. It is at least defensible from Thol, unlike our current quarters.

1 Granite
Thol has gone to the floor below our metalworking site, doubtless resting to regain his strength for more toppling and smashing in a short time.

I also must note that I have been reassigned, to explore a section of caverns not far from Whiskeybridle. Perhaps I may guide its dwarves once again, but for now other duties call. I hope whomever guides these dwarves does so well. To further that end, I am inclosing an overview of the fort's status, as well as every dwarf's social status, in the acompanying envelope, http://imgur.com/a/pVKHa

I am also including what little information we have on Thol:

as well as previous graphs from this year in Whiskeybridle:
http://imgur.com/a/XaWaX/whiskeybridle_year_10_part_1
http://imgur.com/a/Sc2B0/whiskeybridle_year_10_part_2

In closing, I do not regret any actions I took this year as liason to Whiskeybridle. Hatchcovers not only provided incalcuable aesthetic benefits, they also served as an early warning system for Thol's arrival. While making every dwarf forget the existence of the lower levels of the fort may seem hasty, I stand by my decision to take swift action to reduce the risk of exposure to Thol. All in all, I believe that this year has seen much progress in Whiskeybridle, including towards a friendlier and more fertile social climate.

Sincerely,
Alleyes, Lead Scryer,
Lead Scout, Mine Manager, Nosiness
Tosidetur, Mountainhome

I haven't sent the military after Thol, just assigned most of them to a squad so they'll (hopefully) wear armor. I think the only place to effective partition is at the split-stair level, right where Thol first showed up in the fort. I've looked, but haven't found any other spot that would do any good. That's a little close to Thol, though. Good luck!

EDIT: File finished uploading, so the save is at http://www.sendspace.com/file/klxaid.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get an activation link from DFFD? I tried to sign up but haven't gotten the activation email they say is coming.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 04:14:59 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 27, 2011, 04:46:14 pm »

I think he must have come up through the magma sea, looks like he's pretty badly burned:

At last, she is done.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 27, 2011, 05:49:11 pm »

Great! It wasn't burned before overturning the magma smelters, I don't think. At least, when I took a picture of its descriptive screen for the screenshot it was fine. Hooray for monsters that swim into magma!
To summarize:

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 27, 2011, 07:27:37 pm »

If you haven't received the confirmation email from DFFD yet, then check your junk folder. It gets put there on occasion.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]