Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The Grand Tomb  (Read 1902 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Tomb
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »

i have a large stylized tomb as well, though i just realized that i have to undertake a massive stone-removal project to pretty it up.  maybe i can upload a picture in a little while.

looking at a overall map of my fortress, i also just realized that a couple planned circular and triangular rooms with their long adjoining hallway... well, it looks far more phallic than i had intended.  time to re-do that digging.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 01:14:00 am »

have you tried laying down a huge channel area on it, waiting for dwarves to move the rocks off, then cancelling. then again closer to the exit, so the stones slowly get pushed out and end up in a giant pile outside the door

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 01:16:00 am »

Get yer most experienced mason (or mechanic or stonecrafter) and build a workshop in the area, and assign it to that dwarf (or just high skill). Also build a bed (assigned if no economy, or if economy, the dwarf is legendary), a table, a chair, a tiny food pile, and a tiny beer pile. Also a pile for the finished goods, as in the case of building coffins from the stone that was left in the excavation of the tomb. That way, the fastest crafter burns up the stone as quick as possible. Don't bother hauling it away, that'll take forever and clutter up all your other jobs.

Now if this isn't a case for ore/gem smoothing... if I had needed it. I got soooo lucky   :D

[ April 27, 2007: Message edited by: herrbdog ]

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 03:12:00 am »

i've been making blocks, as i thought it would be faster and easier to haul them out.  my finished goods stockpiles are nearly full.  i might switch to stone crafts, and/or add some catapults up there.

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 09:44:00 am »

Bins full of blocks are really heavy. My dwarves have taken three seasons to move them from outside the fortress to the chasm. Plus, I like to be able to tell at a glance how many blocks I have in a given stockpile, so I usually disable bins for bar/block piles.

Catapults/Mechanisms/Stone Mugs are typically how I clear out large areas.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2007, 12:18:00 am »

I had a legendary stone crafter (yay fey mood!) and had him churn out nonstop stone masterpiece trinkets. I was able to buy out every caravan, and have tons left over. Of course, when the economy started, the nobles hoarded whatever they liked (and were really freakin ecstatic).

And nice tileset, I'm definitely going to download your improved 16x16 one.

Eiba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2007, 01:32:00 am »

Hey, this is great. I'm inspired!

I like to think I'm pretty good at making aesthetically pleasing dining rooms, well rooms, and statue gardens, but my tombs have always come out looking pretty stupid in comparison. Now I think I have a couple of vague ideas I can work with.

Now if only someone could show me a nice looking zoo...

Pages: 1 [2]