Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Migrant Disposal System  (Read 3319 times)

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Disposal System
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2010, 01:25:39 am »

Call me old fashioned, but I have the whole wave drafted and sent to the proving ground, a tower with a one-square-wide walkway at the top, with access controlled by a locked door, and an armour stand up on a side-platform to make it a barracks. They spar with no weapons (unless they came with a weapon other than a crossbow) and gradually fall to their deaths.

There can be only one, and that one is the lottery winner for that wave of migrants and gets their green card, ie a sword and suit of armour and shield and a place in the People's Army.

vrga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2010, 05:28:12 am »

I just eliminated a 20 dwarf migrant wave with my new flooding trap, that also doubles to get rid of sieges and triples to get rid of merchants. The best part? It sweeps them into a pit where they explode into gore! (Keepers atleast) and I can collect the garbage they leave behind.
do describe this particular contraption, will you good mate?
I have a 20 tile long bridge made of walls leading to my fortress, on both ends are drawbridges and on the right is a drawbridge. On the left is a giant block made of chalk 3 z-levels high with 2 giant water storages built on top with floodgates facing the bridge, using a pump stack water gets pumped in through the back and is powered by windmills with gear assemblies below them so I can turn them off. When enemies walk on the bridge, I raise all three drawbridges which combined with the block create a giant rectangular cell with no roof. I pull a lever that opens the floodgates and the water cascades out and fills up the cell. With my current design, an enemy could walk around the north drawbridge while the one on the right is down, but if I lower the northern drawbridge the enemy will probably get atom smashed anyway. If the enemies can swim (see: goblin mounts) they will survive, but then I lower the drawbridge to the right which the water flows out and cascades down a 10 z-level pit where the creatures will probably die if they are heavy enough. After turning on another pump, the pit gets drained and I can loot the stuff. I'll get a Stonesense picture up tomorrow.
ah, i think i understand :D

dropping copious amounts of water on anything unwelcome is always fun :D

pity that magma rarely works the same way :(
Zeocin's take on the current situation in Ardentdikes:
Otherwise known as the Release Urist Now Apocalyptic Weapon of Arse Yerking, or the R.U.N.A.W.A.Y. system.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 06:25:12 am »

Magma mist occurs in very small amounts when a cave-in hits magma, not when it falls.
Then explain this video of a magma mist generator being used on invaders? Link
isn't that 40d though? the video was posted in 2009...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

ElthMysterius

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Musician
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 09:44:49 am »

Unfortunately I haven't figured out how to activate individual dwarves, so implicitly ordering a random hauler to go punch out that camel is still beyond me.

When in the [ s ]quad menu, just press [ p ] and then select your squad. You'll get a list of everybody in that squad and be able to give them individual orders.

Also, brilliant ( and failing that, hilarious ) ideas so far!
"Strike the earth!"
"A section of the cavern has collapsed"
"Your fortress has crumbled to its end"
Yeah, in the future you probably shouldn't strike the earth quite so hard
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]