Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarfs: Fact VS. Fiction  (Read 5148 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs: Fact VS. Fiction
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008, 03:35:00 pm »

You're all bickering over fucking nothing.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fenrir

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>You're all bickering over fucking nothing.</STRONG>

Who's bickering, troll?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2008, 04:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
Who's bickering, troll?</STRONG>

The last two pages. Fighting over the spelling of a fictional race's plural.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Fenrir

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2008, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>
The last two pages. Fighting over the spelling of a fictional race's plural.</STRONG>

It's not a fight, it's a debate. But that doesn't matter, trolling is worse in any case.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008, 08:53:00 pm »

Fighting over the fictional name in plural of a species is a ritual act of dedication, go on my slaves. [/SPAM]
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Citizen of Erl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 02, 2008, 04:31:00 am »

It's noteworthy that the Norse view of the cosmos, as we have been able to get it, seems to hint that dwarves and dark elves were different. The dwarves' home was a world called Nidavellir, while the Dark Elves lived in Svartalfheim.

However, many myths tend to conflate dwarves and dark elves, so depending on who you asked, they could be separate or the same. Similiar things happened with giants and trolls. Given the two have separate worlds, though, I tend to consider them separate races. That being said, in my readings I've not found a great deal written about the dark elves in Norse Mythology, so there is easily an "official" link that has simply been lost.

Edit: Lord Phoenix, could you give me a source on the Elves being divine servants and akin to angels? I don't recall reading that anywhere; the only place I recall seeing it was Valkyrie Profile.

[ January 02, 2008: Message edited by: Citizen of Erl ]

Fenrir

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2008, 10:59:00 am »

I see... Clearly I must research the matter further. I shall return in time to this thread when I have a better grasp on the subject.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>I am a linguist.  That's what I studied in college.  Dwarf does not end in -lf, it ends in -rf.  The correct plural according to English grammar rules is dwarfs.  Dwarves is commonly accepted and few would consider it "wrong," but it does not follow standard English grammar.

There may be a great many things that you know more about than me, friend, but linguistics is not one of them.   :D

In any case, as both are widely accepted, it doesn't really matter which you use.  So let's stop fighting over semantics and enjoy the fabulousness that is dwarf mythology.</STRONG>

It's cold today, I better put on two scarves.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Forumsdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2008, 06:32:00 am »

Phase 1: Collect Underpants
Phase 2: ??
Phase 3: Profit!

Oh, wait, that's Gnomes.

Phase 1: Collect plants
Phase 3: Liquor!

"Let them eat XXtroutXX!" -Troas

Fenrir

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2008, 10:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Forumsdwarf:
<STRONG>Phase 1: Collect Underpants
Phase 3: Profit!

Oh, wait, that's Gnomes.

Phase 1: Collect plants
Phase 3: Liquor!</STRONG>

Say what?
 :confused:

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2008, 01:34:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>
I don't think that the spelling of any word is up for vote.</STRONG>

The spelling of every word is up for vote.  How socially acceptable it is to deviate from the generally agreed-upon general rules depends on the culture.  In English, we have so many conflicting rules to draw on that Bob can basically just make stuff up and be right while Alice can convincingly prove that Bob is wrong.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2008, 06:01:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>The spelling of every word is up for vote.</STRONG>
Context, man. He was referring to the game, where it is obviously not.

[ January 10, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

My dwarves are not your dwarves.

tedrick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

If one short guy ever lived in a cave and ever had a beard, then the stories about dwarfs is half true.

The other half might be hundred years later when all of the dwarf decendents continued to live in this cave, mining the earth and trading the things they fashioned for the things they need. People would only see part of the culture and would claim they were more wierd than they probably were. They probably did a lot of drinking as living underground is depressing I would imagine. So I would say the dwarf legend is probably about 80% true. The other 20% is probably completely false.

We get to decide which is which.

edrick

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 28, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

A dwarf is a short humanoid in the sense of Toady's brother's imagination. So it is a short humanoid

/end

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 28, 2008, 10:49:00 pm »

Crap didn't mean to necro- due to the 4th chaos mod link.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]