Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Add that to the list of embark requirements . . .  (Read 1558 times)

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Add that to the list of embark requirements . . .
« on: December 15, 2010, 04:49:11 pm »

Okay, okay, okay, I get it.  There's always "one more thing."

When embarking, I already know to check whether my parent civilization is alive.  I know to check whether it can make high boots.  I know to check what other civilizations are close by me.

I also know that my engravers (and other artisans) will make art based on the history of my parent civilization and my local land.  Thus, like I mentioned over here, I decided to send an adventurer out into my target area to create some history.

My fortress was to be built across three biomes: some badlands, some hills, and a landlocked "good ocean" pleasantly called the Gulf of Sun.  Rith Mothsilver the Torrid Glaze of Ringing adventured across all three.  She had 13 notable kills (though a number were attained in transit to the location) and 7 other kills, including a sea serpent from the ocean itself.  Because, unfortunately, the "non-notable" sea serpent probably wouldn't count, I had her die in the Gulf of Sun to ensure all biomes which could count for the fortress actually did.

I enter fortress mode, make some art, and what do I see?  "Rith Mothsilver the Torrid Glaze of Ringing is dead."  "Rith Mothsilver the Torrid Glaze of Ringing is withering away."  "Rith Mothsilver the Torrid Glaze of Ringing is in a fetal position."  Only the event on the cold, harsh ice actually counted.  In fact, if I abandon my fortress, it tells me that all my inhabitants flee into the Gulf of Sun, meaning that the game believes I have embarked in the ocean.

Thus my list of "possible ways to obsess over embarking" has expanded even more: first, make a fake fort and abandon it, so I can see which biome will be gracing my walls with its history.  This may just be reaching the point of "I don't care anymore."

--Rexfelum

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add that to the list of embark requirements . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:15:14 pm »

In your three-biome embark, what kind of creatures visited the area? I had a three-biome embark that was two swamps and a mountain, and only the mountain creatures showed up.

As a wild speculation, it may be that the creatures show which biome the art will come from as well.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 06:32:02 pm »

Well, I can't check magmawiki right now for biome/creature information, since it's down.  But I can say two things:

First, the vermin are clearly from more than one biome.  Roaches and two-legged rhino lizards are crawling across the ground, while faeries and pixies fly above the water.

Second, the full-sized creatures have so far included horses, camels (I forget which type), and buzzards.  Do you know which biome(s) those frequent?  I also have seen one swordfish in the ocean.

--Rexfelum

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:37:42 pm »

Unfortunately, I used magmawiki to find out which biome they were coming from. I had mountain goats and hoary marmots, which the wiki told me occur in mountain biomes. May have to wait until they get the site back online.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 06:50:58 pm »

My current fort, Certaintomb — love those random names — is bi-biomal. It's part mountain and part forest, and I get marmots and goats as well as deer.

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:05:38 pm »

Did you have the ocean biome selected when you embarked? If your dwarves started on the beach, you did. If that's the case, you may have some control over which biome shows up in your fort's history.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »

Did you have the ocean biome selected when you embarked? If your dwarves started on the beach, you did. If that's the case, you may have some control over which biome shows up in your fort's history.

That is a very interesting possibility, but no.  I checked, and the wagon was dead center on the map, in the badlands.

Although . . . isn't the wagon always dead center, or as close to center as possible?  If so, then I wouldn't be able to say which biome had been selected (if any) at the time of embark.  And by "selected," I presume we're talking about that F1, F2, F3 selection feature where you can look at each biome's layers.

--Rexfelum

iyaerP

• Bay Watcher
  • has mandated the production of 3 gold shields.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 09:33:23 pm »

In your three-biome embark, what kind of creatures visited the area? I had a three-biome embark that was two swamps and a mountain, and only the mountain creatures showed up.

As a wild speculation, it may be that the creatures show which biome the art will come from as well.

Triple biome here.

Swamp/mountain/heavy forest.

I get TONS of mountain goats (the mountain is about half the map tho) a plethora of hoary marmots, some fish in the brook, and the occasional alligator. That eats my herbalists
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then youkill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Dwarf Fortress: So horrifying the players would rather talk about nice things, like Warhammer 40k.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 09:44:11 pm »

I get TONS of mountain goats (the mountain is about half the map tho) a plethora of hoary marmots, some fish in the brook, and the occasional alligator. That eats my herbalists

Sounds like a good embark area to me.

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.