Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I just had a dwar-piphany...!  (Read 3238 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: I just had a dwar-piphany...!
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 04:51:33 pm »

I love making clothes!
Mostly because with an the clothing stock pile full, and every dwarf draped in all the pig tail cloth he can get hes hands on, they seem to not care as much about the sock on the surface when somebody dies, so clothing has most likely saved my fort more times then I know.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 05:06:35 pm »

back in my 40d days, most of my forts economy was based on cloth.  The first year or two would be a little difficult but once I got a good supply of cloth and dye going it was smooth sailing. If I was lucky enough to find and capture a GCS my cloth industry really took off.  I learned early on that ropes are the way to go with cloth. Dwarves dont tend to steal ropes like they will every other type of clothing  ::)
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 05:28:59 am »

I love bins. I also love making them. And I hate pressing enter a billion times for every caravan. So if I can afford it, I just sell the bins my crafts are in to the merchants. Gives my carpenters something to do.

After my last fort had a ban on cutting more than a few trees, I had a phobia of cutting wood [I don't play DF that much see] and so I end up buying most of my wood, and rationing it. Bins are a luxury.

But you can make bins from metal? I usually end up with more cassiterite  and galena than I could ever want, so I just make tin bins and lead barrels on repeat.
Unless you're talking about fuel rationing, in which case...bituminous coal?

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 02:44:17 pm »

I love bins. I also love making them. And I hate pressing enter a billion times for every caravan. So if I can afford it, I just sell the bins my crafts are in to the merchants. Gives my carpenters something to do.

After my last fort had a ban on cutting more than a few trees, I had a phobia of cutting wood [I don't play DF that much see] and so I end up buying most of my wood, and rationing it. Bins are a luxury.

But you can make bins from metal? I usually end up with more cassiterite  and galena than I could ever want, so I just make tin bins and lead barrels on repeat.

You trade people things which have been kept in lead bins? Lead poisoning, man. Only elves deserve to go through that.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2010, 03:11:54 pm »

I have never dyed a single piece of cloth/thread.  The only time I end up with dye is when I forget to disallow dye plants from my stockpiles and accidentally mill some.

The last time I made any sort of craft item was some time shortly after I started playing in 40d.

I almost NEVER trade, at most I sell off some masterwork roasts or mechanisms to get the minimum export for sieges.

I never give commondwarves personal housing(legendary or not), they do not deserve it.  Private housing is for nobles only.

Iv'e never made a bar of soap.

This list could go on and on, but I will stop here.  It really does indicate the awesome depth of this sandbox toady has given us, that we can play in so many different ways and still be effective.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 06:01:56 pm »

What a waste of fuel that could be used to produce steel.  I use magma forges almost exclusively.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 07:35:26 pm »

It would be nice if tall ceilings had a benefit in the fortress, like if you had a particularly hot room, for example, due to magma.  As it is everything I ever carve out is only one Z level.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 12:19:54 am »

Another dwar-piphany: do you realise just how many z levels there are available to use?!?.
Forget tight, efficient fortress layouts. I'm going to have a different floor for every single thing. (Actually, that might work out to be pretty efficient)

I just realized that on a 4x4, I could probably just have one hallway, spanning like, 20 z-levels, nearly uninterrupted, and never worry about space. After all, it's the same speed going down as it is south.

I also could totally use copper veins as hallways and never have a traffic jam problem ever again.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.
Pages: 1 2 [3]