Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I just had a dwar-piphany...!  (Read 3234 times)

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
Re: I just had a dwar-piphany...!
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »

Actually, i can't imagine. The only thing i ever trade is stone crafts, toys, instruments, etc. and i still do fine. Puts those Stonecrafters (legendary or otherwise) to use, and clears out unwanted rocks. Sure, it can take a while when you have 100+ crafts, but the trick is to put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot, so your dwarves don't need to walk far to deliver the stuff to the Depot.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 12:27:01 am »

One time, I tried to set up an economy based off of stone toys.

As you can imagine, that failed horribly.

Obsidian mugs, my friend. Base value for an order of obsidian mugs is 90. -obsidian mugs- are already 180, and you've only used one stone. Of course, mechanisms sell for even more, but my mechanic isn't always free. So when he's not, I'm making mugs.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2010, 02:26:17 am »

Actually, i can't imagine. The only thing i ever trade is stone crafts, toys, instruments, etc. and i still do fine. Puts those Stonecrafters (legendary or otherwise) to use, and clears out unwanted rocks. Sure, it can take a while when you have 100+ crafts, but the trick is to put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot, so your dwarves don't need to walk far to deliver the stuff to the Depot.
Sure, it can take a while when you have 100+ crafts, but the trick is to put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot, so your dwarves don't need to walk far to deliver the stuff to the Depot.
the trick is to put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot, so your dwarves don't need to walk far to deliver the stuff to the Depot.
put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot

Why did I never think to do that before?  :-\
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 01:17:58 am »

Another dwar-piphany: do you realise just how many z levels there are available to use?!?.
Forget tight, efficient fortress layouts. I'm going to have a different floor for every single thing. (Actually, that might work out to be pretty efficient)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 01:36:30 am »

I like to have two floors for every single thing, one for the thing, the other for the store room for the thing.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 06:57:31 am »

I tend to build the thing to store the things, for the thing, opposite from the thing on the other end of the thing hallway.

Unless I hit a thing, then the thing to store the things for the thing is moved behind the thing.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

crossmr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Jeonsa
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 07:25:37 am »

Well, I was thinking that in true dwarf fashion I don't need to bother with anything except setting up an awesome metal industry. A token dwarf here and there doing engraving and such. The way I've always done it is focused on stone crafts, which is ok I guess, but metal is so much cooler

I had the same thought when I "discovered" that metal crafts are much, much more valuable than stone crafts.

yeah but do you need that much wealth? I've only made rock mugs and when a caravan shows up I can trade him 30-40k without issue even after a year or two. I can buy everything and then some.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 11:20:05 am »

Sure, it can take a while when you have 100+ crafts, but the trick is to put the Craftsdwarves Workshops right next to the Trade Depot, so your dwarves don't need to walk far to deliver the stuff to the Depot.

Do you not use bins...? Or stockpiles? Isn't the location of the workshop pretty irrelevant when you can store the products wherever you want? And my finished goods stockpile is at least 40 tiles away from my trade depot, but it takes all of 20 seconds to have 11 or so bins of stone crafts delivered to my trade depot, enough to buy anything I need.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2010, 11:46:29 am »

I love bins. I also love making them. And I hate pressing enter a billion times for every caravan. So if I can afford it, I just sell the bins my crafts are in to the merchants. Gives my carpenters something to do.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2010, 04:02:55 pm »

I love bins. I also love making them. And I hate pressing enter a billion times for every caravan. So if I can afford it, I just sell the bins my crafts are in to the merchants. Gives my carpenters something to do.

After my last fort had a ban on cutting more than a few trees, I had a phobia of cutting wood [I don't play DF that much see] and so I end up buying most of my wood, and rationing it. Bins are a luxury.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

After my last fort had a ban on cutting more than a few trees, I had a phobia of cutting wood [I don't play DF that much see] and so I end up buying most of my wood, and rationing it. Bins are a luxury.

If your trying to keep tree hugging hippes out of your magma traps, then as a general rule, go for strip foresting methods until they bother to tell you to stop, and then just lock them out while you keep cutting down trees underground.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »

Ahhh, this was one of my first forts. I didn't even want to THINK about magma.

I was too busy trying to get puppies and kittens to scout out the caverns, but they all died from impact...

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 04:14:41 pm »

INTERESTING FACT: Magma traps are a bajillion times easier next to a volcano.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2010, 04:21:08 pm »

The only industry I've never bothered with is clothes.  I've built clothing shops a couple times for moods, and that's it. 
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 04:46:11 pm »

The only industry I've never bothered with is clothes.  I've built clothing shops a couple times for moods, and that's it.

I also do not produce clothes. I use all my cloth/leather for bags to fuel my glass industries.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".
Pages: 1 [2] 3