Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping quarters  (Read 3245 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping quarters
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 03:30:13 am »

I give my nobles legendary rooms and their own statuary gardens and make sure that excellent meals are prepared... if they end up happy anyway then I take it as the hand of Armok who wishes misfortune upon the nobility. I couldn't fight something like that!
You see, the first thing I do when I start a new embark is look at every new immigrant and find one that likes a metal I have plenty off, a stone I have plenty of, a furniture object that can be made from wood, and no desires for the bones of any animal more exotic than a dog, horse, cow, or donkey.  I give this dwarf the custom title of 'Baron Candidate' and when the outpost liason tells me that my fort is worth having a baron, they get volunteered for a life of luxury.

As it stands, every once in a while I make a few more lead bins to store things in, a wooden animal trap (which gets dumped into the magma sea), and make sure she has a personal zoo consisting of dogs stuck in lead cages.  No fuss, no muss.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

TheJackal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 10:20:19 am »

You see, the first thing I do when I start a new embark is look at every new immigrant and find one that likes a metal I have plenty off, a stone I have plenty of, a furniture object that can be made from wood, and no desires for the bones of any animal more exotic than a dog, horse, cow, or donkey.  I give this dwarf the custom title of 'Baron Candidate' and when the outpost liason tells me that my fort is worth having a baron, they get volunteered for a life of luxury.

As it stands, every once in a while I make a few more lead bins to store things in, a wooden animal trap (which gets dumped into the magma sea), and make sure she has a personal zoo consisting of dogs stuck in lead cages.  No fuss, no muss.

Great minds think alike. Careful pre-selection of your Baron candidate is super important. In my case, occasionally I have to cobble things together out of obsidian, steel, and horse. Three things in good supply down here.

Baron McPuppetNoble: I DEMAND you make steel items immediately! RIGHT NAOW.
Urist McPersonalAssistant: Any particular kind?
Baron McPuppetNoble: I love armor racks!
Urist McPersonalAssistant: I'll get the haulers to bring some material from steel stockpile number 3 and inform the metalcrafters.
Baron McPuppetNoble: Also you can't sell my PRETTY PONIES! I love PONIES!
Urist McPersonalAssistant: .......also I'll reglitter the ponies and straighten the NOT FOR SALE sign again.
Baron McPuppetNoble:  8) I love being Baron.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 02:46:28 pm »

If I decided to make a guy who loved steel and armor stands baron, I would make him military anyway just on principle.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

ZachUSAman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 03:39:48 pm »

my noble was unhappy about rooms, so after a while, I trained 30 some wardogs and assigned all the wardogs to him.
then I killed the dogs in front of him.
one.
by.
one.
then made him eat the dogs.

so, unhappy about the rooms now noble?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:59 pm »

Great minds think alike. Careful pre-selection of your Baron candidate is super important. In my case, occasionally I have to cobble things together out of obsidian, steel, and horse. Three things in good supply down here.

Baron McPuppetNoble: I DEMAND you make steel items immediately! RIGHT NAOW.
Urist McPersonalAssistant: Any particular kind?
Baron McPuppetNoble: I love armor racks!
Urist McPersonalAssistant: I'll get the haulers to bring some material from steel stockpile number 3 and inform the metalcrafters.
Baron McPuppetNoble: Also you can't sell my PRETTY PONIES! I love PONIES!
Urist McPersonalAssistant: .......also I'll reglitter the ponies and straighten the NOT FOR SALE sign again.
Baron McPuppetNoble:  8) I love being Baron.
This makes me laugh...It would be awesome if he loved steel and bolts. 
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 08:10:39 am »

My last Baron loved steel and axes.  It was awesome, I never had to listen to his mandates because they were all automatically met by my steel industry. 

"I demand you make 2 st..." (Urist McBaron is ecstatic to have a mandate met before he finished his sentence.)
Pages: 1 [2]