Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping quarters  (Read 3246 times)

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping quarters
« on: December 05, 2010, 04:15:19 am »

My duchess is miserable right now because of this thought.  Oddly, though, there IS nobody else in the fort with better quarters than her - except the queen.

Who is also the mayor.

Is it possible that she's getting irritated because someone of a higher station, who also holds a lower station, has better quarters?
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traumatized by a lesser's pretentious sleeping quarters
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 04:23:44 am »

Give the job of mayor to someone else. That'll test it.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:30:20 am »

Done, but it'll take a while for the thought to fade.

:( I liked having the queen as mayor, too.  No preferences means no mandates.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 09:50:50 am »

Another way to check this is look under your (R) menu. It's pretty easy to make a royal bedroom by accident if you have a level with a much of mechanisms on it or weapon trap in its range.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 09:57:13 am »

It doesn't actually matter if they have better quarters, it matters if they have good quarters, meaning that if a person's room is above a certain quality, the queen will get pissed regardless of her own sleeping arrangements.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 11:20:33 am »

My Baron was pretty angry that my Barracks was so nice for some reason too. It was probably the dozen or so steel tables in the middle of the room that served as the dining hall for my military.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 12:08:44 pm »

Steel...tables...

:o
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 12:11:54 pm »

Steel...tables...

:o
Thats nothing.  My dwarves will get rooms of engraved
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and constructed
walls.  Their furniture will be created from cotton candy and I may look into modding
to be used for making beds.  Any nobles who don't like it, get to go to the
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Surray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:01:23 pm »

I had this on my baroness when one of my dwarves had an artifact cabinet in his room and the value was far above anything the baroness had.
As soon as I got rid of that and made sure that my mayor and captain had their rooms exactly as or barely better than their requirements my baroness was happy again.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 01:43:44 pm »

I had this on my baroness when one of my dwarves had an artifact cabinet in his room and the value was far above anything the baroness had.
As soon as I got rid of that and made sure that my mayor and captain had their rooms exactly as or barely better than their requirements my baroness was happy again.
I just tell the stupid nobility to screw themselves and let the useful dorfs have fancy rooms.  (Original expedition leader will get a pure adamantine room.  So will any amazing military dwarves.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 03:18:07 pm »

Nobles are huge assholes and get pissed off if another dwarf even dares to have something of value. For example, my baroness was getting angry about one dwarf having his won tomb. This dwarf was me, and I also happened to be the original expedition leader. The baroness was my wife. Yet she was getting pissy about me having a good tomb despite this.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 04:59:52 pm »

My solution for providing elaborate tombs to simple dwarfs is to put a small 'masoleum' within the tomb proper, a 3x3 or 2x2 chamber with the coffin in it, surrounded by whatever else the tomb consists of.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 05:08:56 pm »

I let my nobles just be stupid unhappy pricks.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 05:51:17 pm »

I give my nobles legendary rooms and their own statuary gardens and make sure that excellent meals are prepared... if they end up happy anyway then I take it as the hand of Armok who wishes misfortune upon the nobility. I couldn't fight something like that!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

duckInferno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 12:23:01 am »

I had a duchess forbid leather exports without me noticing.  I loaded up a caravan with goblinite, which is half leather.  Next thing I know, my 8-cage jail is filled with people left over.  I was annoyed, and some important dwarves were in there, so I removed the jail room so that the feeble sheriff could slap their hands with a ruler. 

He one-shot punched eight dwarves to death.

It took a while for my boiling blood to cool down and to suspend the digging of an execution pit.
HAHAHA YES MY EXPIDITION LEADER IS PARTYING WITH GHOSTS THIS IS THE BEST UPDATE EVER
Pages: [1] 2