Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition  (Read 17474 times)

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
Re: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2010, 03:06:21 pm »

I've just started this challenge as Rane Legendaxe, a Adequate Axeman, Skilled Shield User, and Competent Dodger, among other things.

He leaves town with nothing but his trusty Bronze Battle Axe, Copper Shield, his Rope Reed Loincloth, and a backpack. He swiftly leaves towards the nearest fortress and recruits an Axeman and a Lasher to accompany him.

In my first quest, against a Bandit Warlord, we kill everyone fairly easily except the Warlord who is swinging around a multigrasped Iron Great Axe. Within the first round of combat, my axe arm gets chopped off at the elbow.

So what do I do? I throw away my shield, pick up my axe with my off hand, and somehow chop him into little pieces.

Rane Legendaxe left that camp one arm short...But wielding an incredibly large Iron axe with his one remaining hand.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »

Ok. I did this a bit today, got nothing spectacular, except for a new respect for kobolds.

One kobold adventurer I played, wearing nothing but a stolen backpack (my barbarian heroes don't wear trousers or underwear, but they need a backpack to put the ears in. Strange how little you can actually fit in a backpack, though...) killled several undead creatures, including a zombie cyclops with 13 kills. He had only his trusty copper knife, because he threw the spear to hamper a giant scorpion.

Armed thus, he descended, killing several undead beasts, eventually clearing the entire thing out. Bogeymen ended him.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:29 am »

put some backpacks in the backpack and there you got your bag of holding...

eue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 30, 2010, 07:12:21 am »

Second from last notable kill:
"Betan Cutnotches the Savior of Feeding the troll"
Strange.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 30, 2010, 01:46:13 pm »

No no, it was a troll, his name was "XXX the savior of feeding, [COMMA] the troll"

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2010, 01:48:01 pm »

Kinda funny though.
*Hugs*

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2010, 02:09:30 pm »

i was under the impression that backpacks already were bags of holding.  I have never been able to fill up a backpack...(i stuffed about 18K Urists worth of GCS silk clothing from goblin ambushes in my backpack along with many weapons and pieces of armor they were wearing.  Pages of the stuff)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2010, 02:49:26 pm »

Not sure how they work, but they are very buggy. Sometimes I can't put stuff into them, sometimes they just keep filling up.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:53 pm »

It seems that certain items won't go in unless they go in automatically as a result of your hands being full.

EDIT: My latest kobold adventurer has 34 human right ears and counting. He's doing all of this despite being one-handed.

EDIT2: 43 human right ears, 51 kills. Heroic Kobold indeed.

(It's probably not in the spirit of the thing that he has claimed all these ears from carefully hacking off the ear while they're sleeping and then stabbing them to death before moving on to the next)

EDIT3: Many human right ears. 62 notable kills (all keepers, the humans). One other kill, an elk. I also chopped off, but could not keep, the ears (and every other extremity) of a Blizzard Man (15 times my size!). I got bored and wandered off. Killed and ear-stole an elk, then got bashed to death by his buddy. Thus ends the tale of Flokodogurus Ootendtresoldes Oureen Jughtere. His name shall be remembered for the wholesale murder of human-folk in the year 503.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 05:53:00 pm by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 01, 2010, 07:53:28 pm »

I am pretty sure I figured out what causes the "cursed castles" with unending wrestlers. It is what happens when a civ is destroyed during worldgen. All their castles become like that.

The reason this is relevant to the Loincloth Challenge? Because naked wrestlers are easy to kill, and you can sleep safely anywhere inside the castle walls or keep. They are ready-made mid-level training grounds.

Also - FREAKING BALORS - do not fight without a pool of water handy to wash off boiling demon blood.
Breath attacks are bad enough. I now have no fat on my right arm. or left hand. I made the mistake of grappling, you see...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:03:52 pm by Flaede »
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »

This is the best challenge ever! I call my barbarians "Hatchetman". And I have been most successful with just Wrestlers. I suck at adventure mode so I can't get many ears though.

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2010, 10:09:53 pm »

I'm so doing this!

EDIT: After killing 5 night creatures stark naked (no luck finding  a loincloth :( ), Sverre met his doom at the hands of a bogeyman. Earlier he had been ambushed by 6 wolves that made him dodge into a murky pool taking 2 wolves with him. With incredible effort, he fought off the rabid wolves, got out of the pool and went on with his travels, sensory and motor nerve in the right hand severed, but somehow still holding his axe and shield high.
Now it's time to try again! :p
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:01:53 pm by CaveIn »
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 05, 2010, 11:50:53 am »

I just killed a Cyclops and that makes this guy the most successful adventurer so far. Still naked and I don't intend to change that! And I am gonna be getting more ears too. I got a quota so I am gonna be killing the people who house me from now on.

CaveIn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 05, 2010, 12:41:29 pm »

Seems like throwing stuff is very effective. I run around knapping stones for throwing at enemies, if one gets in a good hit they start running, warlord or not... Haven't tried versus really big stuff yet though. Most funny thing I did was throwing a pick that stuck in a warlord's mouth from 10 squares off :) I think I'll go with more Close Combat though, feels like I'm sidestepping the no armor challenge. But whenever I do that, I die :( I've had like 10 adventurers throughout the day, that's what you get for not training on weak beasts or by yourself I guess...
I can see my hammer dwarf standing next to a beat bloody elf asking :"How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"....."What do you mean you don't know?!" *BANG there goes another rib*
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]