Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition  (Read 17480 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Loincloth challenge, 2010 edition
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2010, 01:39:04 am »

Welp, Adil Silkyorbs died almost immediately.  Gored in the chest by a warthog.

Her sister* Tuma, however, did much better.  Their civilization, the Tiled Confederation, occupied a smallish island off the coast of Cereteteyo.  It was, surprisingly, almost bereft of night creatures; however, it had more than its fair share of monsters from the depths of the earth.  Trolls, voracious cave crawlers, blind cave ogres: Tuma killed them all.  And I do mean all:when she finished, there was not a single monster or bandit left on the island.  They had all been turned into jewelry (the monsters) or money (the bandits' gear).

After that, she bid her companions goodbye and made for the west coast, with the intention of swimming the straits and seeking further adventure on the mainland.  She made it across with little difficulty, but slowly enough that night was just falling as she pulled herself from the water.  Her only hope was a mad cross-country dash through the night toward a fortress she had glimpsed in the distance.

As it happened, she got lost on her way there... but stumbled across the fortress anyway, completely by chance.  There didn't seem to be a lord around when she got there, but she was too tired to worry about it and got a random wrestler's permission instead.

When she woke up, the wrestler tried to kill her.  She fended him off and stumbled outside, only to find the courtyard full of wrestlers.  They stood and looked at her for a moment, then began to advance menacingly.  It appeared that Tuma had unwittingly stumbled across one of those death monasteries everybody's been talking about!  She killed a few of them, evaded the rest, and fled yet again toward a village on the horizon.

She arrived again just as the sun was setting.  Glad to finally be safe, she went to sleep on the overland map, not even bothering to talk to the villagers.  This was a mistake.

I usually sleep outdoors in villages.  It's quicker when you don't have to ask permission, and in my experience the boogeymen don't like civilized areas.

In retrospect, it's probably only civilized areas in which you're accepted.  In my haste to get to sleep, I never got the villagers' recognition and protection. 

A few hours later, Tuma awoke to the terrifying sight of a boogeyman rushing across the fields toward her.  She leapt to her feet, but was far too woozy to get more than a few steps before the boogeyman was upon her.  She swung at it, missed, and then it kicked her in the leg which was apparently so painful that she fell unconscious for a number of minutes, which was long enough for the boogeyman to very slowly pummel her to death.  She died within sight of a house.

A terrible ending to a great adventure.  I got about ten ears.  It's hard to remember to cut them off when you're fighting for your life.

*Seriously, they probably are sisters. Same last name, same hometown, and they even have similar looks.

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2010, 12:30:51 pm »

How do you guys roll up a random char like that, is it a mod or what?  Otherwise, how did you start with knife skill?

Well you can either get a random one but on the part where you choose your name you can press [e] to type in a first name (and anyone who you talk to will give you weird looks) and you can press [c] to enter in a second name in the same way you name a fortress.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2010, 12:57:45 pm »

Well I got a lasher now who has killed lots of bandits and night creature spouses.  She has killed a troll with 18 kills under its belt, a slightly nastier than average bandit chieftain, and a full-fledged night creature.  I haven't been keeping ears sadly, but she does have a collection of somewhat mediocre jewelry; I am ashamed to admit that a lot of it is simply bought from stores with gold from the opponent's liquidated trappings (also I buy gems when they are available to keep weight now).

I decided to train her to use a pick, but I am not sure if I should... is the pick too nasty right now, so that it would be like cheating?

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:37:28 pm by Bronimin »

Thatdude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »

*sniff sniff* :'(

And so it ends...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The saga of Ghost Battlewraith the Cloudy Prince of Murk comes to an end. After slaughtering his way through 24 creatures worth mentioning (13 of them human) he met his match along with his two blood brother at the hands of a shadow creature's meat cleaver. He will be missed by the entire world from the looks of it (He has like 2 pages of "[insert civ name here] Respected for heroic acts" in his related entities). His collection of ears extended to 19, but he had no jewellery on him the time he died.

Looking through legends I find it funny just the variety of objects of which he has killed people with. He made:

>2 kills with a silver maul
>3 kills with his shield
>1 kill with an Iron longsword
>1 kill with an iron shortsword
>2 kills with a copper dagger
>1 kill with an iron scimitar
>1 kill with a copper bow
>3 kills with no listed weapon
>10 kills with his trusty bronze halberd

I think there should be a variety prize. The only class of weapon I didn't make a kill in was hammers and that was only because I only met 1.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2010, 07:00:22 pm »

And he did this unarmored except for helmet, gloves and boots?  Respect!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2010, 07:43:58 pm »

So. Anyone figured out how to take on Frost Wyrms in this challenge? Because without clothes, their extract seems to be deadly, even if they only get one breath off before you bite their heads off.

*you have frozen to death*
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2010, 08:05:26 pm »

Rolling...
May he live up to his families great name.

EDIT1:
Ano slashed some groundhogs up with a wooden sword for a couple of minutes then got bored and asked about the local area and if there was anything interesting to do. Sure nuff, there was a shrine two days south from the town he was in, so our brave hero embarked after recruiting a pikeman to be his trusty companion. When they got there they encountered a behemoth of a Marsh Titan, towering above them, and then they preceded to fight for hours over life and limb...Wait, no, this happened.
Ano fought a being that was weaker than a groundhog, killing it in one hit.

EDIT2:Ano, being pleased with himself, bragged to all the villagers about his heroic deed and unbelievable agility, then asked a rhetorically if there is anything he can't do. A villager stepped up and said, "If your so great, why don't you kill Ruken, the troll?"
Everyone gasped. They knew that this troll has killed many, and that likely, the adventurer wouldn't survive this. But Ano, being a totally awesome viking, barbarian, superman, spiderman, and the whole justice league combined, accepted this quest. Later on, Ano and his trusty companion approached the troll's lair, and went inside. Immediately, Ano got struck in the face with a massive sweaty hand, pushing him back out of the lair. Ano then stuck his sword deep in the belly of the troll, and he seemed unfazed. Then the troll grabbed him by the head, and just as his head was about to be crushed, his companion stuck his pike into the trolls lungs.
As he did this, the trolls smile turned into a frown, and as he was struggling for air, Ano lopped off his head, and then nonchalantly put it in his bag as a trophy, and the two men wandered off to fight more evil.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 09:01:51 pm by Urist McUristy »

!!tordek!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!! Tiquo earlove the ace of ears begins his/her? epic quest
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:47:44 pm by !!tordek!! »

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2010, 08:46:37 pm »

A CHALLENGER APPROACHES!! Tiquo earlove the ace of ears begins his/her? epic quest

Your picture isn't showing up.

!!tordek!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »

fixed!

Urist McUristy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2010, 09:32:30 pm »

Ano just killed his first challenging opponent. After his companion got lost and left, he found a forest titan in a shrine.
Here is an artist's adaptation of it.

!!tordek!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2010, 09:41:15 pm »

aaaand, the ace of ears is dead. She was doing very well against the hamlet she was raiding until a peasant stabbed her in the hand, disabling it. After struggling to survive for a while and slaying half a dozen more I got hit in the foot, my weenie heroess refused to stand up and was promptly surrounded and beaten to death.
heres the ear list, theres probably another pages worth that I failed to put into my inventory though
Oh well, I'll have better luck next time. I think I'm going to put a few more points into toughness endurance and willpower for my dorf fighter so that his limbs dont become useless when they get a papercut

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2010, 09:44:14 pm »

So. Anyone figured out how to take on Frost Wyrms in this challenge? Because without clothes, their extract seems to be deadly, even if they only get one breath off before you bite their heads off.
*you have frozen to death*
I guess fighting one counts within the "wear clothing when it's cold rule". the best way to kill those ice breathing lizards is to bleed them out, preferably from a distance (limited choices because of the rules, better find a volcano & obsidian rocks!)... Melee weapons will eventually get to cold to use anyway.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 25, 2010, 02:09:51 am »

Alright, the lasher I'm playing with now just killed a full night creature and a giant with 130+ kills to its name.  Not sure if these accomplishments mean much since the giant died quite suddenly from a head shot by my whip, but still.  The night creature ("The Shadow Man", which ambushed her while she was sleeping before the big fight with the giant) was actually a very close call, because it grabbed her by the lower body with its mouth and shook her around for a  long time before she and her pikeman bro finally killed it.  Good thing she was fat, I think only her fat was damaged by the mauling, and I imagine it might have saved her from having her guts turned into haggis.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10