Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The most anticlimactic titan quest.  (Read 2059 times)

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The most anticlimactic titan quest.
« on: November 16, 2010, 12:51:45 am »

I was issued a quest by the lady of a local fortress to slay a hill titan so far away I wasn't even told the amount of time it would take to reach it's location.  After the long and arduous hike out to the west and a quick dip to the south our group of merry men finally see the titan's intimidating smooth mud stone abode.  As a good leader, I charged ahead of my group of soldiers to lead to ensuing fight.  I reach into my backpack and pull out a copper carving knife acquired from earlier night creature slayings and with a quick flick of the wrist the terrifying hill titan was felled. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just kind of sat there with my mouth agape.  Toady needs to work on things like this.  It was hilarious but damn, I was expecting an epic fight.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The most anticlimactic titan quest.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 01:17:02 am »

Totally agree with you titans are way too easy, they should be able to one-hit kill us by stepping on us or crushing us with their hands if we don't roll or dodge and such, titans should easily kill our party members the only titan who killed one of my teammates was the brush titan, brush titan was toughest titan i fought

Jazzfunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:11:19 am »

With the current material system, any titan or forgotten beast not made out of some incredibly tough object dies if you glance at it the wrong way.  Toady should probably give them an hp system like undead, or make it so the weak ones die off in worldgen faster.

bobbylantine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 02:53:54 am »

Yeah, completely true.  Titans just need a broad buff, I can understand having the occasional really old titan who is frail and weak but damn.  To prove the point even further, I got a quest to kill a mountain titan after returning from the hill titan kill.  I'm thinking "cool, mountains are much greater than hills, he should be very strong" and I kid you not, the exact same thing happened but with one of my crossbowmen.  I threw a bronze two handed sword, it missed and I see the titan disappear behind a tree.  I circle around the tree and can't find the bastard.  I check the announcements menu and 'lo and behold, this happened.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 05:21:28 am »

Forgot to screenshot it but the power of aimed shots against titans is quite odd aswell.

get quest to kill titan. Gather army. Trek to titan lair. Titan lists off people he's killed. Aimed shot to the head (Difficult strike, Difficult to land) Decapitation.

Hill Titan aswell. Just seemed odd. Im sure the onlookers were rather un-impressed.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:57 am »

I haven't fought a titan, but...

I ran across a spider demon in the wild. And my party beat it to death while it ate a horse.
It wouldn't even fight back. LAME.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

ElTacoLad

• Bay Watcher
  • I AM The Taco Lad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:06:52 am »

Was it made of snow? The first Titan I fought was just a giant blob of snow. No arms or legs or anything. Just the blob of snow.
treat it like royalty, obviously.
Quote from:  Eviltyphoon
magma
Aren't these the same thing? 
KG

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 08:08:30 am »

I had a plains titan once, gathered 15 brave or stupid men together, and strode confidently towards it's lair, expecting my doom.

One of my archers shot it and it exploded before I even saw it. (Didn't even say where it was hit, it just said "peeling away the tissue!" or something, and I couldn't find it's corpse so I assume it exploded.)
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:18 am »

I had a kobold outsider adventurer. Legendary at ambushing and throwing, good at many weapon skills, all trained from scratch (he had demigod good stats, but no skills at start). Killed several night creatures and even a cyclops. Even was able to survive several fights with a bronze colossus, though his weapon was only able to dent the metal bulk.

And got a leg ripped off by a camel shortly after that colossus epicness. Puny cutebold, small size and no armor save his trusty shield. Be assured that relying on dodge, parry and shield blocking will fail sooner or later.

Oh, and after getting his leg ripped off, he managed to cross the whole medium-sized world and swim over several ocean map tiles to get to my abandoned fortress for a crutch. Too bad it didn't help - apparently he also had the foot of his other leg ripped off too.

I was going to play further, eventually training him so that he could crawl as fast as normal people walk, but he only managed to kill a single night creature before meeting his doom at the next one's lair, aptly named Deathtomb. Four months of game time. Sigh.

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 10:42:35 am »

I made a keeper paladin, killed ghouls and other creepy cave creatures really deep in a cave but i drowned in water i tried swimming to some area inside the cave

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:17:59 am »

Another Snoblob titan... one hit with spear... all that is left is 3 tons of snow it dropped.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

toupz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »

Titans are giant right so i think they should be able to one-hit kill us easily or slap us a few tiles away or crush us with their hands or brutally knock us down if our skills aren't high enough to fight it or if we can't roll or block.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »

I had a quest to kill a Hill Titan a few days north of the human area I was in. I got ambushed twice on the way and lost a few companions so was getting worried about the encounter.

I get there, the Titan sees me and issues his challenge and lists his kills, I move forward one tile... and he disappears.

I walked all over his little platform thing, thinking maybe he had awesome ambush skill or something... found nothin.

Finally I looked in my quest log and it says I am to report the kill! I double checked the announcements and everything, no death notice, no fighting, nothing.

Got ambushed a couple more times on the way back so the overall excursion was exciting.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »

It's just a goofy outcome of the materials system, as was said. That plus world gen history means titans are marshmellows, possibly half-chewed marshmellows.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti