Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Of these, how many have you done: aquifer(s), volcano, terrifying/haunted/etc, no flux, scorching, freezing, underground [redacted] structure, ocean, island (no trade), megaprogect of your choice, embarked with nothing or other self-imposed handicap, or a

None!
One!
Two!
Three!
Four!
Five!
Six!
Seven!
Eight!
Nine!
Ten!
Eleven! (Too close to Elven for my liking...)
All of Them!

Author Topic: Tick off some lists with me!  (Read 1342 times)

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tick off some lists with me!
« on: November 07, 2010, 06:15:22 pm »

Or: "How Do YOU Challenge Yourself"? Part of the fun of being a relatively new player is going through the massive variety that this game offers in embarks. I'm sure to have missed some challenges, please leave comments. Then everyone gets to add that one to their to do lists :).
Details are great, too.
My shortest fort was by far the haunted (or was it terrifying) freezing tundra. No trees, no hunting. I had to get down to the caverns quick quick, but there were so many skeletal blind cave ogres. I died. On the reclaim I brought a squad of axedwarfs and had them guard the front door while I set to work. They ended up chasing a troll all over my fortress for several seasons. It wouldn't die, and they were taking so long killing it that some of them started to go insane. Fun times!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Tick off some lists with me!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 08:53:52 pm »

* Volcano: Complete, unmitigated catastrophe, didn't even last to the first caravan. Put me off magma completely for a long while.
* No flux: Fairly often in 40d, got by fine with plain iron. I'll let you know how it goes for me in .31...
* Freezing: One of my favourite embark sites, though I've never quite had the nerve to try embarking on an actual glacier.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 10:32:08 pm »

-Aquifer
-Volcano, lots of 'em
-Evil
-No flux, not particularily worried about it
-Scorching, not that it really does anything unless your only water sources are pools
-Freezing, tried it but I prefer Cold because it's funner when it thaws sometimes
-Megaproject, I covered my last 40d fort in a good layer of megastructures
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 06:40:32 am »

Aquifers are convenient once you know how to deal with em.
Gone without flux, usually by accident.
I quite like the "DIY" embark, smelt your own axes/picks when you arrive

Right now I'm playing Fortress Defense mod, with no traps and no cheesing off the entrance
with the added challenge of having every dwarf armed, armoured and skilled.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:46:43 am »

What do you mean by "underground structure"? A fortress in the caves?

Oh, and you forgot
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I don't really like these "minimalist" challenges. Not my style.
And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 08:06:23 am »

I did an interesting variant of the peasant challenge once - I embarked with seven milkers and a wagon full of lye.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:33:21 am »

The only time I've tried to deal with an aquifer was when I had the second turn of a succession game and I was trying to get underground. I lost 2 legendary miners and their picks to ice. I don't have aquifers in my raws.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:52 am »

I have done:
aquifer (multiple times, mostly badly)
terrifying
no flux (in 40d)
freezing (twice, once terrifying with aquifier)

It was fun.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:18:44 am »

Volcano on a glacier,  fun until operation make a farm resulted in dwarves encased in ice. redesigned the system and then a yeti eats the remaining embark team
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 11:29:37 am »

I like volcano's the best as long as they have some marble around. Learned that you can accidentally drain your volcano, that you can repair the leak with water, that they refill back to their original level, over flow if you've cut a channel deeper than that level in the meantime, and that they can be fixed by draining it at a lower level again.

Oh, and never make your metal producing operation at the top level of the volcano, it goes dead if you drain the lava a Z level :/

Melting ice waterfalls are among the most destructive forces in nature to constructions.

Kurouma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 11:18:57 pm »

Underground structure would be the ones in the third cavern that goes right down, with the masterwork weapon.
Last volcano I had was flux-free. That was ok, that was the first fortress that I managed to dig down to the blue metal in.
Yeah tried a second reclaim of the frozen one, that also ended badly. Gave up for now. Now I'm doing a swamp with a couple aquifers.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2010, 02:23:28 pm »

I've done flux-less.  Kinda annoying to buy up tons of steel items from a caravan and them melt them down to bars.

Scorching is nothing special.  Just means no pools.  Also tends to be what you get when you are shooting for tropical biomes for the elephants and other fauna.

Freezing isn't really anything special to me (unless a glacier and then super hard mode).

Volcanoes are just about a must for me.  I love having the easy access to magma and the added fun of never knowing if a lava critter will swim up to the surface.

My one try on an evil map didn't give me much undead.  Did mix things up with harpies and ogres harrasing me.

I've messed with aquifers but generally given up before I got too far into them.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:28:34 pm »

I knocked out three in one game once.

Ocean w/ aquifier and a volcano. Intended to pour magma into the sea and then carve my fortress out of the obsidian. Got fairly far too, but thirst and FPS issues once the magma started pouring into the sea killed it.

I guess you could sort say I ticked off megaproject on that one too except it was a collosal dwarfy failure.