Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Absolutely absurd Political stories  (Read 2388 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Absolutely absurd Political stories
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2010, 03:20:34 pm »

The american people will believe anything, even in the complete absence of conflicting evidence.

Two days ago, I was talking to a man who was convinced that the cost of early voting in Maryland was astronomical.  So I told him that I had voted early and that the early voting station was a pretty straightforward affair and it wouldn't cost much.  He wasn't convinced.  So I stood right in front of him and estimated the costs of everything I'd seen, did the math out loud and explained to him why it was drop in a bucket compared to our state budget that tops ten billion.  He just smiled and said he knew it costs a lot.  Well, I looked up the costs when I got home: 3.5 million.  It took me all of three seconds.

So, 3.5 million compared to 12.5 billion or so comes out to about... %.03

And this guy was walking around telling everyone he knew that early voting was expensive, dammit!

wow... that's a bit beyond anything I've seen, but I do know people who refuse to acknowledge the fact of global warming because " they only take ground temperature readings". Then again, this is texas..

I guess its a matter of perspective, he could have been comparing something else. Even if you don't compare 3.5 million with anything, that IS a pretty big amount.

And yes I know its a drop in the bucket compared to the state budget. The guys statement is just lacking in information.
Pages: 1 2 [3]