Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading pool or other cleaning.  (Read 1007 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wading pool or other cleaning.
« on: October 23, 2010, 05:39:49 am »

Wading pools or showers. Do they work ?  I know about the water contaminent bug, but I'm wondering form a practical viewpoint if wading pools or showers clean off dangerous contaminents. I'm not worried about aesthetics, but I want to know if there is an automated system of cleaning off Forbidden Beast residue from dwarves and pets. I've heard it said, that the deadly dust and things are spread around on domestic animals' feet. I'm the person who caused the community game, Ardentdikes to plunge into Fun with the plague, and I'm wondering what things are old wivedwarve's tales and what is fact.

I once built a one tile wide and high shower corridor, with a hatch or grate above and below. and falling water. It actually made the blood and vomit spread, possible because the whole population were forced to squeeze past each other at once. After that, the only thing that I could do was to force them through a 3 or 4 deep pool, uning DFclean very repeatedly, (around twenty or more times). There must be a better, more dwarfy method.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Wading pool or other cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 07:09:12 am »

Try a three tile-wide shower instead. Water spreads out into any adjacent tiles when it falls vertically, and it needs to flow straight off your dwarves and into the drain without pooling. A 3x3 shower stall arrangement would be ideal, but I'm not sure what you could do about the centremost tile.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Brandstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Come hug me bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:30:17 am »

Does the triple door trick work with grates? If it does then that could get the middle one installed.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 08:00:49 am »

If not, I wonder what happens if one builds a grate on top of a pillar?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 08:09:23 am »

What about a five grate pattern, like so.

============
++++#+#+++++
+++++#++++++
++++#+#+++++
============

Also, How could I automate it deep underground. Basically I'm trying to build a Fort with as good a FPS as I can get. Compact, no extraneous caverns or digging. Trying not to open up the caverns if I can help it. Could I incorporate a perpetual motion generator ?

Thanks for replies. :)
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:46:17 am »

This would be better:
============
++#+#+#+#+++
+++#+#+#++++
++#+#+#+#+++
============
And I wouldn't advise building this deeper underground than your entrance tunnel if you're not intending to breach the caverns, since your only encounters with forgotten beasts will be on the surface. If you really must do so then I suggest dumping the effluent out into the caverns themselves, or even the magma sea.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 09:15:36 am »

Well, I have had to open up the lowest level to get to magma. But I'm thinking of completely sealing the fortress underground, and just having the lowest caverns to play around with.

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 09:21:28 am »

Try a three tile-wide shower instead. Water spreads out into any adjacent tiles when it falls vertically, and it needs to flow straight off your dwarves and into the drain without pooling. A 3x3 shower stall arrangement would be ideal, but I'm not sure what you could do about the centremost tile.

Put the center pump 1z higher than the rest.
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Halnoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Plan for the Worst. Hope for the Best. Have Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 12:06:42 pm »

Gunk will pool on grates. Try it for yourself. I frequently put grates under my waterfalls so dwarves won't fall in and they are always dirty. I personally just use dfclean and i'll keep using it until toady adds a clean designation or some such.
One of the dwarfs walked in front of Thor to get a better view of the prye, and Thor kicked him irritably into the middle of the flames, which made Thor feel slightly better and made all the dwarfs feel much worse.

Cloth Armor Mod http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158967.msg7063531#msg7063531