Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Rinderpest Eradicated  (Read 1498 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Rinderpest Eradicated
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 05:31:01 pm »

Wikipedia has annoying huge colorful picture at the top instead of the unobtrusive text they had last time it needed donations.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 05:32:14 pm »

I do not see it.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

Oh yeah... that worm.  Interestingly, there's no cure or vaccine - the eradication process is simply through preventation.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 06:13:11 pm »

Well, theres not really much to say.
Yay for cows?
Yay for cheaper beef! MOAR CHEEZBURGERS!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 06:30:55 pm »

Yes. I mean, this is interesting, isn't it? Does no one have anything to say about this?
Nothing that wouldn't be douchey.
Love, scriver~

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 07:12:05 pm »

It is always good to see an world wide effort succeed.
While it isn't at the same level of the smallpox eradication ( which got USA and USSR working together against one of the worst diseases we ever got), it is a nice thing that we are able to cooperate against common enemies.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2010, 07:19:48 pm »

Note that smallpox is believed to still exist in the wild in particularly squalid, remote areas of India. Not to mention the samples of it kept in cold storage in CDC facilities. Or the alleged metric tons of it believed to have been produced and stored by the Soviet biological weapons program...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2010, 07:26:50 pm »

well, obviously biological weapons and lab samples are excluded from the eradication count.
we scream extinction when only few animals of a specie are left in zoos, I can't see why we can't call smallpox functionally extinct if we keep the few samples left closely guarded.
I'd be more worried about that india thing you mentioned... for an outbreak to come by biological warfare malice and stupidity ( on the guards' part) are required. to cause an outbreak from a small village, all you need is a traveler.
Luckily, the world is full of smallpox vaccine.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2010, 07:46:15 pm »

I said "believed to still exist in the wild". I'm not sure how true that is, and I only recall having heard it in my college geography class. Though it does stand to reason that you'd get small outbreaks in isolated regions that could have been missed by a vaccination campaign, sort of like how you get small outbreaks of other diseases thought eradicated (at least from the area) by vaccinations because certain dumbshits have been waging war on vaccines for years now, and some idiots actually believe their mad rantings (like vaccines causing autism because of mercury, which has neither been found to cause autism nor even been used in vaccines for decades).
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2010, 08:06:12 pm »

well, obviously biological weapons and lab samples are excluded from the eradication count.
we scream extinction when only few animals of a specie are left in zoos, I can't see why we can't call smallpox functionally extinct if we keep the few samples left closely guarded.
I'd be more worried about that india thing you mentioned... for an outbreak to come by biological warfare malice and stupidity ( on the guards' part) are required. to cause an outbreak from a small village, all you need is a traveler.
There have been so many movies where that happened...

Some of them, mind you, weren't bad.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 01:04:29 pm »

There have been so many movies where that happened...

Some of them, mind you, weren't bad.
28 Weeks Later?
(By the Animal Wrongs Group)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale
Pages: 1 [2]