Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Oh god, lashes are death machines.  (Read 2785 times)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oh god, lashes are death machines.
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 11:57:25 pm »

But even with that edge attack type, weight plays into the benefit...basically, you want a metal that is both sharp and dense.  Steel or bronze would work well.  (maybe use cotton candy?)

Hmm.  I've got access to pretty much everything but the candy; I know where some is thanks to the volcano, but haven't gone past the caverns yet.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 12:14:30 am »

Use steel then.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:13 am »

Use steel then.

*nods*  It seems like the well-rounded option; platinum doesn't hold much of an edge, and candy is crazy light.

Probably won't have to worry about it for a while; only just got my first mood.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Moonshine Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 02:51:14 am »

Yeah, I've had my last four Axelords instafragged by lowly goblin lashers  >:(
I definately need to tweak that damn weapon. So if you increase contact area in the raws, do I need to create a new game or will it work right off the bat?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 03:06:38 am »

and candy is crazy light.
That never matters with edge weapons. CC's other stuff, like tensile yield and things totally make up for it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 05:06:17 am »

What about daggers?  I have one guy in my military who picked up a plain large steel dagger and has turned into a killing machine.  My entire military has been wiped out twice except for him. 

The first time, it was putrid undead heavily outfitted in bismuth bronze armor, and none of my soldiers seemed able to significantly penetrate it.  When the battle was mostly over, this guy came along with a dagger and severed limbs left and right like it was nothing.  I had axes, swords, hammers, spears, and crossbows equipped on the rest of my militia and none of them did anything but bruise the enemy.  That battle took me from 20 to 6 combat-capable soldiers.

In the last battle, I marched out to meet about a dozen goblin swordsmen with my shrunken military, and met an ambush of hellfire imp lashers on the way.  The lashers destroyed everyone near instantly except the dagger guy, who slew 3 near instantly in return and sent them fleeing.  I then said "fuck it" and sent him alone against the advancing goblin swordsmen, and he killed three of them while taking minor injuries before both him and the enemy ran away from each other.

His armor and skills weren't really better than any of my other soldiers.  He was just the only guy with a dagger...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 05:12:19 am »

What about daggers?  I like daggers!

A careful mix of luck and pircing. Spears can work to the same effect.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 05:15:27 am »

Ya I had a guy who was getting pretty good with a spear... he got seriously overshadowed.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:16:39 am »

Daggers are a lot faster then spears.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:45:39 am »

Solution: remove whips and scourges.

Then again, I've modded a shit-ton of stuff out of my games, so YMMV.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 08:42:33 am »

Yeah, I've had my last four Axelords instafragged by lowly goblin lashers  >:(
I definately need to tweak that damn weapon. So if you increase contact area in the raws, do I need to create a new game or will it work right off the bat?
If you change the raw files inside save game folder they'd get applied to your current game.

And I do think it's intended to have other races to have better weapons the dwarves to encourage trade/siege.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 06:13:51 pm »

Sorry if I'm being pedantic... but let's please keep sarcasm/hyperbole out of the discussions of game mechanics. It's easy enough to jump to the wrong conclusions as it is.

Whips still don't have an edge, and their contact area is still 1 compared to a hammer's 10 - I believe it's cm^2
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the game doesn't keep track of the shape beyond 'edged' or 'blunt'.

As far as I'm aware, whips still incapacitate humanoids in heavy armour faster than any other weapon. They're still nothing special against unarmoured foes and useless against bronze colossi. 'Manhandles my dwarves' does not imply 'Awesome against everything'.

As far as I see it, the main problem with whips isn't the value entries but that the game doesn't fully acknowledge flexible weapons. The game models a main advantage (being able to move the business end at higher speed than rigid ones) but not the corresponding disadvantage (only the weight of the business end is behind the blow. For a morningstar, this may realistically be about half its total weight, for a whip or scourge it would be a tiny fraction).

I did a bit of testing with this: Whips with a drastically reduced weapon size killed slowly but were still good at incapacitating unarmoured opponents through pain. Lashers won against naked wielders of other blunt weapons but lost against wielders of sharp weapon. The modified whips were useless against any form of metal armour. Quite satisfying in my opinion... making flexible weapons too easy to lug around is in my opinion a lesser evil than having them hit with too much force.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 09:21:05 pm »

And what weapon size, pray tell, would that be?

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »

I think he made it pretty much as small as possible, sort of reflecting what the weight of the tip of the whip would be.

I don't know for sure; I haven't explored the raws much. I thought I would simply post that quote here, as it seemed quite relevant.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 [2]